Hi who did you travel with? We fly on weds to havana for 5 days then 10 days at the blau through the holiday company. Where did you stay in Havana? Did you go to Vinales Valley for the day from Havana? What trips did you do from the Blau? Did you email either of your hotels with rooms requests or did you just turn up and see what you got? Any tips for the blau? dos and donts? Did you spend many nights out in varadero? What time was your transfer from havana to the blau?
Sorry about all the questions, so excited now!
Hi - I will to answer all the questions from the two replies but feel free to contact me if you want more info
1. Going to Havana from Varadero - we didnt do this but spoke to people who had. the reps will sell you a tour. Pick up at Hotel and transfer you to Havana with everything but one lunch not included. They usually take you round some of the sights on the first day and you go to the Tropicanna show a Las Vegas type show - we went to the Buena Visita Social club and loved it. The next day you have until 1pm to do your own thing cost is 90 CUC per person - so cost is good rather than doin yourself. (see other answers for more info)
2. We booked all of our holiday independently and went with Air France, and booked the hotel in Cuba with Dial a Flight and Travel Republic for others. In Havana we stayed in the Tryp Habana Libre (review up later today which was better than we expected) but doing it again I would try and stay in Old HAvana. We booked a private walking tour with Jorge see other postings for email or I can look it out for you - it was the best spent money as we got to see and do things that normal tours dont get. 10 cuc per hour we used Annalise for 5 hours and you dont even notice the time going in - as you stop so many times. When we went to the Cigar Factory we saw Annalise again and she took us round even though we hadnt booked it. JORGE can organise anything else you want to see or trips
3. Things we loved in Havana - the two bars Hemmingway drank in and you must have the drinks. The old cars (cheaper in Varadero to just get as a taxi 12 CUC in and out of Varadero along the frront), the Revolution Square and musemum, the Buena Vista Social club, just walking round old HAvana - sights the music and the people brillant. At the cigar factory - have small notes 1, 3 and 5 CUC as the guys making the cigars will offer to sell you a few. When going to the factory tell the taxi you want to see the cigars getting made - he will take you and wait its cheaper 15 CUC. The cigar musemum is in Old HAvana and is different from the working factory.
4. Varadero - get the hop on hop off bus to take you about the markets are good for pressies and the prices are the same everywhere. Went to 62nd street one night and went in the old cars but it was just ok we didnt stay long. Go to the beach its better than the pool. Book your two al a carte resturants early during your stay to get the times and nights you want. Lots of people went on the Catamaran trip and loved it 90 CUC per person but we just wanted to relax after 4 days in Havana. Drinks in the Piano bar are the best and its quieter if you dont want to go to one of the shows at night.
5. transfers - from airport in Havana 25 CUC no matter who you get but we pre booked with Jorge and the taxi was there even though we were delayed two hours. the bus to Varadero 25 cuc per person from hotel to the hotel. Coming back we booked private transfer with the Cubana company at the hotel for 85 CUC which was 10 cuc than sitting on the bus and then having to get a taxi in havana.
Hope this helps
should have said we emailed both hotels to let them know we were coming as it was our honeymoon and requested rooms on high floors and at the Blau a pool / beach/ garden view. Blau reponded and said they would try and we didnt hear from Tryp but when we arrived we had champagne and fruit in the room and had a better room
Could you please provide the email for Blau?
how was the weather in varadero? when exactly were you there? thanks in advance for your response
Hey Thanks for all the info, could you please let me know roughly how much 90CUC is in English Pounds? Just so I can have an idea of how much things are? Many thanks
1 english pound was worth 1.57 CUC when we were there 28th May - 8 th June
Sorry I dont have the email address but I did get it off one of the other postings about a month ago
Thank you Terry and alibel very much appreciated. Just gives me an idea of what our currency is worth out there.