We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room damage deposit

Halifax, NS
3 posts
Save Topic
Room damage deposit

This is going to be my first trip away... we are leaving May 1st and heading to Oasis Turquesa , Cuba... i was on the Sunwing web site that the hotel requests a damage depost for the room, either by cash or credit card.. does anyone know if you have to pay this when you book an all inclusive trip. and if so how much the deposit is. They say they accept credit cards but not if they are associated with the USA. can someone please help I want to make sure we bring enough cash with us. Also any tips on how much cash to bring.. We want to do a couple excursions and a little shopping and probably go into town. Thanks for the help.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Room damage deposit

When you go all inclusive in Cuba, you don't have to give a room deposit.

Have a great trip!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,912 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Room damage deposit

As Gengen says you won't need to pay a deposit. To help you understand the money and credit card business a little better have a read of Martian24's Inside Page on Cuban Money Exchange at:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c109329/Cub…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Room damage deposit

If you bring a Visa or Mastercard you'll be able to use it down there; no Amex, Citibank, etc. I've never had to pay a room deposit in all our years of travel to Cuba, even when it was specified on my travel voucher that one would be required, but always better safe than sorry. I bring my Visa with me each time we go in case of emergency. As for cash, the average excursion is 85-100 CUC's, some are a bit more. I usually pay for excursions and cigars with the credit card just in case I need my cash later on. I usually suggest to all friends going to Cuba for the first time to set aside the 25 CUC's per person departure tax on the first day and don't touch it so you're not stranded at the end of the holiday, that tax is payable only in cash. Enjoy!

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Room damage deposit

someimtes they do ask in the Dominican for your visa card just incase you charge something to your room ie. spa treatment etc. they will ask for visa for spring break ie. but not heard of it for Cuba

read the currency page and that should answer a lot of your questions top of where the forum postings are.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
56 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Room damage deposit

Need to be careful on the choice of card, it’s not a Mastercard / Visa debate.

Mastercard and Visa are merely the organisations who process the transactions, it is the bank that backs the card that is the important factor.

For example, as rightly said, you can’t use a Citi card as it is backed by a US bank, but it is also a Mastercard. As with a MBNA card, US backed, but once again a Mastercard and therefore will not be accepted in Cuba.

Here is a webpage that shows which banks back which cards for the UK:

http://www.stoozing.com/cards.htm

If anyone has a similar link for Canadian cards, I’m sure that it would be a most welcome addition to the forum body of knowledge.

Edited: 1:05 pm, April 22, 2010
Beaver Pond
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Room damage deposit

On one trip the wind broke two of my room glasses and I had to pay CUC $ 3.00. I also had to pay for two stolen towels.

7. Re: Room damage deposit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:04 am, October 20, 2010