We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mercure Playa De Oro, Varadero

Edmonton
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Mercure Playa De Oro, Varadero

Anyone stayed at this resort recently?

Is there an dollar exchange at resort?

Do they have coffee machine in room?

Does the mini Bar have water?

Heard old stories about dirty linens, is it still the same.

Thanks for your time.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
69 posts
1. Re: Mercure Playa De Oro, Varadero

Stayed there last week.

Yes there is currency exchange. No coffee machine in the room. Mini bar is not stocked at all - need to stock it yourself.

Linen was clean and room was clean as far as my room was concerned. Food is not brilliant but depends on the choice each day - sometimes I found it pretty limited but it depends what you like.

Resort is well kept in the grounds and enough entertainment but corridors and rooms could do with an upgrade.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Mercure Playa De Oro, Varadero

Thanks for taking time to respond. I can plan according, and be sure I have water for the first night.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
806 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Mercure Playa De Oro, Varadero

We have stayed at playa de oro the last 2 years (Feb 2007 & April 2008).

The beach is great. The resort is not huge but not small either, very nicely spaced out.

Like the other guy said the hallways need some repairs but we were hardly in our rooms unless we were sleeping, changing or showering.

Room 1202, 1204,1206,1208 are some nice rooms facing the ocean not on the pool side.

We will go again in the future maybe in late 2009 or 2010.

Enjoy your holiday and go OILERS go :)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Mercure Playa De Oro, Varadero

Thanks I will try to get a room with one of those numbers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
806 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Mercure Playa De Oro, Varadero

You should send them an email. I did last year and got room 1202 and all was well.

This is the last email i have for them. They switched names from Corolia Club Playa De Oro to Mercure Playa De Oro so i hope this email still works for you.

reservas@poro.gca.tur.cu

Edmonton
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Mercure Playa De Oro, Varadero

Gracias mucho

I have already sent in a request with the address you supplied. We will see if the email comes back. Getting excited now only a few sleeps left............

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Mercure Playa De Oro, Varadero

friend was there\\\ said a 3 star hotel is a better deal

give it a shot

slowly 3 stars offering better value

Mississauga, ONTARIO
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Mercure Playa De Oro, Varadero

hi there, we are considering going on vacation at this hotel for a few nights. could you tell me how you liked it or any tips that we may find helpful.

would be greatly appreciated.

kelley

Sault Ste. Marie...
3 posts
9. Re: Mercure Playa De Oro, Varadero

I just came back from Playa de Oro in March 2009. I was worried because before we left I heard some bad reviews. I like things to be nice and the pool, grounds and areas were all nice and well spaced out. It was nice, nothing was to far to walk. Food was fine, always found somehting to eat that I liked. I had a picky 16 year old and he was also fine. If you are going for the food I wouldn't suggest it, but we were there for the sun, the beach and to get away from the Northern winter, and I had a great time. A little dissappointed in the room, needs upgrading and hallways, but were clean and this was most important. Most of the staff was excellent, you will get good and bad whereever you go. I would stay there again, but I would definately ask for a different room facing the ocean on the second floor. We could have had our rooms changed but I didn't bother and just enjoyed what we had. No coffee machine or water in room, can buy it at the store and keep it in the fridge or get it from the bar. The fridge was empty but nice to have, food all hours of the night if you are hungry can get a burger or fries ect.. Yes there is a dollar exchange beside the front desk. Go on Katamarna Cruise if you can and swim wity dolpins, great excursion had a lot of fun and well worth the extra money.

Mississauga, ONTARIO
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
10. Re: Mercure Playa De Oro, Varadero

Thanks soo much for your comments ~ we just booked last minute and we'll be arriving Monday and staying for 4-nights. I really like the idea of swimming with dolohins.

One more question... will arriving with Canadian dollars be okay (some people are telling me to bring US dollars).