We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Long is the drive to Havana......really?

Toronto
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
How Long is the drive to Havana......really?

I have been hearing many different estimates as to the drive from Varadero to Havana and I was wondering if anyone knows for sure how long the drive is....well I know it will depend on traffic and weather and such, but I have a spread right now of 1.5 hrs to 3.5 hrs.

We are getting married in Havana next year but staying in Varadero. We are also renting a bus to transport our guests to and from the locations and I need a little more of a closer estimate so that we can plan around it.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,821 posts
1. Re: How Long is the drive to Havana......really?

It took us 1h30 to do Varadero to Havana, but hubby drives fast and knows the country and where the police hide... More realisticly, by car, it will take 2h. If you rent a bus, it might be a bit more since the bus can't go as fast, so 2h15-2h30. The Viazul bus takes 3h, but it's because it stops.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: How Long is the drive to Havana......really?

Hiya

Here is a road distance chart...

http://netssa.com/road_distance_cuba.html

Now it says 140km. And it is four lane divided highway so ...

You would think about 1.5 hrs but make it 2.5 to be safe ...

JMHO

Mardi

wolverhampton
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
3. Re: How Long is the drive to Havana......really?

Hi, We took the viazul bus last week from Varadero to Havana. It was scheduled to be a 3 hour trip but actually only took 2 hours 45 minutes. This included a 5 minute stop at Matanzas bus station and a 10 minute stop at a roadside cafe for refreshments. It was a nice steady drive with little traffic.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
4. Re: How Long is the drive to Havana......really?

Well one thing to also consider is that the distance varies depending on where in Varadero and where in Havana you are talking about.

For example, from the bridge in Varadero right at the start of the penninsula to Habana Vieja right as you exit the tunnel is 140 km. But the Varadero penninsula is also 19 kilometers long, so if you're at a resort out near the end you can easily add 20 minutes time to the trip.

As to the timing for your scheduling, well figure longer and if it turns out shorter... well there's always time for an extra beer then.

Congrats....

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: How Long is the drive to Havana......really?

love2travel444: I am looking at doing the same thing as you - getting married in the Greek Orthodox Church in Havana but staying in Varadero (Iberostar Laguna Azul).

I just started looking into this so I'd love any info you can give me (we're looking at early May09).

Did you use Jorge for the transportation/tour? Was the church hard to book? Do they speak English? Are you going to decorate? Will you be going to the church before your guests or all together?

Sorry to bombard you, but I'm at a loss!

Peterborough
Level Contributor
179 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: How Long is the drive to Havana......really?

Err on the side of caution - give yourselves at least 3 hrs! You may want to stop along the way to take a picture!

7. Re: How Long is the drive to Havana......really?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 30, 2009