We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see?

2 posts
Save Topic
What to see?

Group of 5 going to eradero in November. Never been there before. We are in out late 40's fit but not the disco type. Day adventures, shopping, cemetary/historic buildings more our style. We will be staying at a hotel in Varadero. Understand that merchandise tipping is popular. Any ecommendations? How does one present a "merchandise tip"? without offending someone?

Would appreciate any feedback as to places to see. We will be going in mid November and will be there for a week.

Level Contributor
11,412 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see?

Well then the Havana trip you have to go you will find everything your looking for .

As for merchandise tipping you will see when you go to the buffet most of the times you will get the same people you talk to them then you become friendly with these people and thats when people give them presents well thats what we did but we give them money at every meal also .

Fort St-John BC
Level Contributor
645 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see?

Suggest you do the jeep & boat safari, you will love it

Haliburton Canada
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see?

You could give the Catamaran trip a shot. See you on the beach. Have a great trip.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
114 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see?

Just back myself. You wont find much by way of shopping except in the small markets in Varadero. However there is plenty to do to keep you busy for a week. The Varadero Bus Tour which is the tourist bus which drives around the peninsula all day for 5 CUC is a good day trip in itself. Takes about 1.5/2 hours to do the whole loop and you can hop on and off as much as you like. Gives you a good feel for the area. The Josone park in the middle of Varadero is very pleasant. The speedboat adventure where you take out a speedboat yourself along the mangroves was excellent and great way to keep cool and get a tan. There are so many options for day trips like the catamarans to other islands and plenty of options to visit other cities like Cienfuegos, Santa Clara and Trinidad for exmaple if you want to visit musuems etc. All easily arranged from your hotel.

I dont think you will offend with your merchandise tip. It is appreciated and I'm sure whoever you give tem to will find the merchnadise a good home even if it is not their cup of tea. I was approached in the buffet and asked to sell my clothes on a few occasions! so I think anything you give will be apreciated as many things simply cannot be bought there.

Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see?

Don't do the bay of pigs trip....ZZZZzzzzzz not worth the 50 pesos. The three cities tour would be nice though...Trinidad, Cienfiegos, and Santa Clara.

6. Re: What to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:27 am, October 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Varadero