We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Cuba....so depressing

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Cuba....so depressing

Ah, the holiday I was soooo looking forward is over now...arrived this morning from sunny Varadero and arrived in rainy Britain...great!!!!

Though I can say I had probably the best holiday in my life.

Firstly...the weather was perfect. 2 weeks sunshine...one eveing light rain...otherwise hot and dry weather. Cannot ask for more.

Then the hotel. Sol Palmeras is just great. The staff is so friendly, food not bad (I always forgot to book the restaurant so I have eaten in the bufet nearly every day....fresh fish cooked to perfection each time). The pool is nice, lot to do thanks to the entertainment team. Oh, and I nearly forgot the perfect beach with the perfect water where you could cool down or see some strange fishing charging you. Though I only spend 4 days at the beach..the rest of the time I was at the pool as I need some activities.

Also, the people I met made my holiday. I travelled on my own, so was a bit concerned. But I made so many friends from day one...I didn't leave the hotel at all for a night out (except for once to get to Calle 62 which was great), as it was nice and relaxing sitting near the bar, chatting away or dance in the Fun Pub all night long. I definatly didn't get too much sleep during the two whole weeks.

Also, you got enough alcohol in your drink...maybe even too much ;-). At the end of the two weeks it was rather strange saying bye to so many peole after spending so much time with them in such a short period.

One highlight was definately Havana thanks to Jorge, who organised everything. I saw so many different parts of Havana....from Old Havana to an artist area. I think the biggest impact to me was getting in one of the none restored houses, where the steps were not properly connected to the walls, but still in use. I was then invited into a flat (which was rather a set of two boxes)...never seen anything like this before. At this time I really saw the different between the areas in Havana. It was an eye opener.

But I was also impressed by the politness and friendliness of the Cubans. This was another reason I loved it so much there.

Other trips I made was the Catamaran..which was nice but I couldn't enjoyed it to much due to a stomach bug I cought at the day and felt a bit weak ..

The other trip was the Jeep safari which was fun.with a lot of activities in one day...driving a Jeep, Jet Ski and swimming in a river, snorkellig on a coral reef and swimming in a cave before getting to a ranch..can only recommend this trip.

Overall it was great...the only thing I am upset with now is that I forgot to get the CD form the DJ..forgot to pick it up and give him the money...especially one song I cannot get out of my head because it was palyed everywhere...don't even have the title. need to listen to the CD I bought from a band I heard in Havana...which is not too bad ;-)

So now only waiting for my return to Cuba ... hopefully not too far away in the future

Any questions about Sol Palmeras...just ask....my review will be written very soon

Mentioned in this post
Sol Palmeras
Sol Palmeras
6,895 Reviews
Cuba
Old Havana
Old Havana
17,681 Reviews
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
104,490 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Cuba....so depressing

I'm really pleased that you had such a brilliant time.

When will you be returning? Not too far into the future I hope.

Haliburton Canada
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Cuba....so depressing

Glad you had a great time. Sounds like you had those two beer for me as you promised before you left. Your description of the people in Cuba is shared with a large majoroity of us people who return regularly .

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
manchester
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Cuba....so depressing

hi glad you had a good time if you want will bring cd back with me in october, did you meet Laura's boyfriend? did you get the room i told you about or one better arnt the animation team great. have a good rest it willtake days to come down to earth lol Ann

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Cuba....so depressing

glad you had a great time and latest new member of the "those who like it, likt it a lot" club

(he says as he opens a keiths)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Cuba....so depressing

I'm so glad to hear it lived up to your expectations - the folks who work at Sol Palmeras really are great.

We really loved that old fellow that cooked up the fish - forget his name now. And Roberto with his creative touches with the pasta.

Welcome home, you can start planning your next trip now.

Mentioned in this post
Sol Palmeras
Sol Palmeras
6,895 Reviews
Cuba
North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from Cuba....so depressing

sorry to hear you are now suffering from "the return to reality syndrome". coming home from a fabulous holiday always is a huge bummer. glad that you had a great time. now you can start a new countdown to go back again. cheers!

vancouver canada
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from Cuba....so depressing

Nice to here a storey like that very positive person, Didnt have a bad thing to say about any thing. I could go for a beer with that guy.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
104,490 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from Cuba....so depressing

What you are actually suffering from is CWS - Cuba Withdrawal Symptoms.

Fortunately there is a cure. Book another holiday to Cuba. It's as simple as that.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
148 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from Cuba....so depressing

Wecome back,

You have made me even more xcited only 26 days to go i will have a drink for you when i arrive, thanks for that info sounds brill.

Jan

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from Cuba....so depressing

LOL Scotsman79. Sounds like you had a great trip but unfortunately have come down with the dreaded CWS disease.

Once infected, there really isn't a cure other than another trip back to La Grande Isla, however symptoms may be moderated by application(s) of liberal doses of Havana Club 7-Anos! As with all medications, you might experience side effects such as dizziness, blurred vision, loss of balance. Do Not Drive while on Cuba Withdrawal medication. However for good health, do not stop taking this medication!!!

LOL!!!

Mentioned in this post
Varadero havana club
Varadero havana club
17 Reviews
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean