We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestions 4 a 1st time visit to Cuba with a toddler

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel suggestions 4 a 1st time visit to Cuba with a toddler

My husband & I with out toddler(16months) are planning on going to Cuba in the next 2 weeks. It will be all of our first times and would like to know what hotels and which cities in Cuba would other travellers recommend that are 'toddler friendly'. We are looking for a place that is also 'all inclusive'. I've been getting discouraged by reading so many of the negative reviews of a hotel that I will find on a travel agency website, then read about it here on trip advisor, and it turns us off. We are travelling from Canada. Any suggestions, recommendations would be most helpful. As well as places to avoid :)

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
104,321 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel suggestions 4 a 1st time visit to Cuba with a toddler

As a rule of thumb do not select an hotel below 4 star.

Taking a toddler you can't go wrong booking the Playa Pesquero hotel, IMHO.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
590 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel suggestions 4 a 1st time visit to Cuba with a toddler

Hi monimonie,

My husband and I just got back from Breezes Bella Costa in Varadero yesterday. Although we don't have kids ourselves, we saw lots of families with young kids at the resort and the kids were all having a blast playing at the beach, swimming in the kids' pool and dancing on stage at the mini-disco every night.

There is also a huge kids club at the resort. Bella Costa is a 4 star all inclusive resort and is definetly a family resort.

Jackie

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel suggestions 4 a 1st time visit to Cuba with a toddler

Hello bellagio and Jackie 1011,

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried to see if I could get packages to either of these places for the time I wanted, but unfortunately...both places are booked. So, now I am looking for another place. Do you have any other suggestions.....does anyone out there have other hotels they could recommend?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel suggestions 4 a 1st time visit to Cuba with a toddler

moni, try the Tryp Peninsula. The kids area is a little world unto itself there, with a very large kid's pool, playground with a pirate theme, and the kid's club. (I think your little one is too little for the kid's club) I stayed there just with my 6 year old last year. You can request a room that is right at the kids area and they will accommodate that if they can.

I have also stayed at Sol Palmeras and would recommend that. They don't have quite as good a kid's area, and their wading pool is with the "big" pool, but what they do have is one, two or 3 bedroom bungalows so you can put your kid to bed at night and you won't have to sit in the dark - you can be out on your deck or in the living room.

You have to take the reviews with a grain of salt. As many on these forums will tell you, some people will never be pleased. Neither of the two places I've mentioned are the top of the list for resorts in Veradero, and I might have been nervous if I just looked at the reviews. But both were great places. You really have to consider who is doing the reviewing. Often if you check their other reviews you'll find they hate everything!

Both places had what I would consider toddler-friendly food - regular breakfast cereal, eggs. fruit, french fries, some shredded meat, hot dogs, fish, etc. Much of the food is underseasoned so while we grown-ups might find it a little bland, it's just right for kids.

Fort St-John BC
Level Contributor
645 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel suggestions 4 a 1st time visit to Cuba with a toddler

You will love Blau Varadero, would be perfect for you

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel suggestions 4 a 1st time visit to Cuba with a toddler

Hi Soozeequeue & Rexell,

Thank you once again for both of your suggestions. Alas, once again I tried to see if I could get package deals to either of these 2 hotels and again....no luck. It's crunch time, as we would like to leave on April 13th. Any more suggestions would be helpful, and anywhere in Cuba,...as long as it is toddler friendly:)

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
745 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel suggestions 4 a 1st time visit to Cuba with a toddler

Monimonie,

Have you considered the Melia Las Dunes in Cayo Santa Maria?

Amazing new resort on the best beach I have ever laid eyes on and in my opinion the best resort chain in Cuba (Melia)...

I noticed its currently going for 977 taxes incl for April 13th...(out of Toronto)

Its a HUGE resort, almost identical to the PP, they do have a family section and apparently a GREAT kids program and babysitting services (I don't believe any resort in Cuba offers kids programs for 16 months old children though)...

I haven't stayed at this resort myself personally yet, alhtough my TA has been pushing this one on me since my SLYM reservation has been canceled...

Check out this site, they even have a little resort information video you can watch..

http://tripcentral.ca/

Again this is the Melia Las Dunes in Cayo Santa Maria!

Cheers!

The Budges

Toronto,Ontario
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel suggestions 4 a 1st time visit to Cuba with a toddler

Hello The Budges,

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually, I've already had some knowledge about this resort. A friends' friend just came back from Melias Las Dunas and said it was nice except for the food,....she said if you go to bring a lot of Imodium!!! I am more worried for my toddler than ourselves as far as the food situation is concerned.I'm also a little weary of taking a 1 1/2 hour ride from the airport to the hotel.Thank you anyways, it was nice of you to reply:)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel suggestions 4 a 1st time visit to Cuba with a toddler

Lots of things get blamed on the food at any and every resort in hot tropical places - too much sun can make you sick, too much booze (and I think we can assume the toddlers won't be hitting the cerveza too hard!), I read of one family giving a hotel a bad review because they said they came down "one after another" with food poisoning, that scenario is so unlikely, probably a family passing a virus along to one another. And the immodium thing I would be cautious about, I think if there's something in your system your body wants to get rid of, let it. Taking probiotics for a couple of weeks before you go to increase good bacteria to combat any bad you might encounter is the best way to go. I don't know if little kids can take probiotics but they can eat a lot of natural yogurt.

Check the reviews for las dunas, I don't see anything there that raises big red flags about food. (Other than it's a little boring, which is how most self-respecting toddlers usually prefer their food!) If you're worried just be selective, just think about what you wouldn't eat a buffet at home because it might be sitting out too long, or could be undercooked. Lots of stuff they will cook freshly for you and if you want to ask them to leave it on the grill or in the pan a little longer do so. But you will find toddler friendly cereals, nice bread, chicken and fish, etc at most resorts.

Ontario
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel suggestions 4 a 1st time visit to Cuba with a toddler

Hi there, just returned from varadero stayed at iberostar playa. You cant always go with all the reviews otherwise you wouldnt travel at all. Suggestion in Cuba dont drink water with ice-cubes, take immodium with you just incase. There were a lot of familites with younger children at this resort. No complaints. Had a great time. Its about 45 minutes from the airport, they say 20 but not. Childrens playground and pool area. Once pool only for toddlers. Anyother questions just ask.