We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport, how early do you get there?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
201 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Airport, how early do you get there?

I've pretty much always followed the 3 hour rule, but we're flying out at 6:00 a.m. this time and we'd hate to have to get to the airport at 3:00 a.m.

What time does everyone get to the airport before your trip?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,339 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport, how early do you get there?

Like it says 3 hours. Yep its early but thems the rules

Cheers

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Varadero, Windsor
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport, how early do you get there?

depends who you're flying with and what airport you are in.

We were flying Sunwing in january and had a departure time of 6.20 out of Toronto. Our boarding passes said boarding would start at 5.20. Ha,Ha; the first crew member didn't show up until 1/2 hour after that, so everyone was cooling their heels in the airport for no reason.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport, how early do you get there?

I usually aim for three hours.

I was stopped by the police once on the way to the airport and he had me pulled over for a good half an hour while I sat in my car waiting for him to return with my drivers license and registration. But I still got to the airport in plenty of time to check in with no problems. You just never know what unforeseen will happen on the way to the airport.

BTW, the cop ended up giving me a speeding ticket but he forgot to indicate how much it was for so I never had to pay a cent (for that one anyway).

:)

Winterpeg
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport, how early do you get there?

1.5-2 hrs before departure.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport, how early do you get there?

We are flying out of Halifax at 6am also. The travel agent told me 3 hours, but then said as it was so early 2 hours would be ok. But I'd hate to have a flat tire or something so we are going with the 3 hours anyways, as we have a 2 hour drive to the airport.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,964 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport, how early do you get there?

I always arrive at check in 3 hours before departure and there are always many people in line before me.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
616 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport, how early do you get there?

We always arrive 3 hours early, even for those 6:00am flights. Like Bellagio says, we are never alone! It's about seat selection...if you care where you sit, or if you want to sit together and you haven't paid extra to pre-book a seat, then you'd better get there early.

The way I look at it: the sleep I lose getting up just after I went to bed to travel an hour to the airport is sleep I will make up on the beach once I arrive in Cuba. I'll take that any day!

Newfoundland
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport, how early do you get there?

What if you are flying Club CLass - our seats are pre-booked and we get priority check in????

Has anyone had an issue wth showing up 1.5 to 2 hours before with Club Class resevations - you are usually in line for an hour or more if you are not travelling Club CLass!!

The fact that our seats were pre-booked and we wouldn't have to be to the airport so early factored in to our decision to upgrade!

This is our first time flying CC - we have flown Air Transat several times to the DR and thought this would be much more pleasant taht the other CC (Cattle Car?)

Any thoughts!?!?!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport, how early do you get there?

when I fly AT club class I get to the airport 2 hrs prior to departure, otherwise it is 3 hrs prior

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport, how early do you get there?

We flew Sunwing out of Pearson at 6:20am earlier this month. We were there about 2 1/2 hours before. The line up stretched halfway through terminal 1. We got through the line up, went through security, shopped for a little bit at the duty free and boarded right on time. We had very little time waiting around. Like it's been said before, I'd rather be 2 hours early than 10 minutes late.