We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parasites

toronto
1 post
parasites

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this sickness while in Cuba. I would like to take precautions not sure if it is from food or the bedding..........thanks

recent traveller wrote :

"Hi, I’m from Toronto / Canada. My family and me had spent 2 weeks in Grand Club Santa Lucia from June 14 to 28, 2007. In addition another two families were with us. In total 6 adults and 7 kids (age 3 to 10). When we came back to Canada, 2 adults and 4 kids developed symptoms that had been diagnosed as: Cutaneous Larva Migrans (English name: Creeping Eruptions). We have been treated with: liquid nitrogen, Vermox (Mebendazole) and Albendazole, but as of September 4, 2007, some of us still have Larvae alive in our skin."

St.Jerome, Quebec
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
2 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: parasites

I have been reading and posting on Cuban travel forums for a few years now and this is the first time I have ever read about anything like this. I have been to Cuba five times (4 different resorts, once a 3.5* and four times 4* resorts) and have always found the rooms very clean, the bedding changed regularly, the dining areas very clean and inviting and the food good. I am careful about what I eat, always make sure any meat is well cooked, anything that is supposed to be eaten cold is cold and anything that should be hot is hot. Personally I would not worry about it. Where are you planning on going?

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
158 reviews
149 helpful votes
2. Re: parasites

Hello Edgar;

I have been doing some research. I would like to say I have never met anyone who has come down with this ailment. I have been to Cuba 6 times, and to Santa Lucia 5 times. We will be returning in Jan and possibly Nov.

The best way to avoid this ailment is to not walk barefoot on the beach and dirt. I would like to add you can get in the US or even Canada too. It has nothing to do with the resort or the area per say.

Background: Cutaneous larva migrans (CLM) is the most common tropically acquired dermatosis whose earliest description dates back more than 100 years. It manifests as an erythematous, serpiginous, pruritic, cutaneous eruption caused by accidental percutaneous penetration and subsequent migration of larvae of various nematode parasites. It is most commonly found in tropical and subtropical geographic areas and the southwestern United States; however, the ease and the increasing incidence of foreign travel by the world's population have no longer confined CLM to these areas.

History:

* Tingling/prickling at the site of exposure within 30 minutes of penetration of larvae

* Intense pruritus

* Erythematous, often linear lesions that advance

* Often associated with a history of sunbathing, walking barefoot on the beach, or similar activity in a tropical location

* Predispositions include the following:

o Hobbies and occupations that involve contact with warm, moist, sandy soil

o Tropical/subtropical climate travel

o Barefoot beachgoers/sunbathers

o Children in sandboxes

o Carpenter

o Electrician

o Plumber

o Farmer

o Gardener

o Pest exterminator

Causes:

* Common etiologies and where the parasites are most commonly found include the following:

o Ancylostoma braziliense (hookworm of wild and domestic dogs and cats) is the most common cause. It can be found in the central and southern United States, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.

o Ancylostoma caninum (dog hookworm) is found in Australia.

o Uncinaria stenocephala (dog hookworm) is found in Europe.

o Bunostomum phlebotomum (cattle hookworm)

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
59 reviews
151 helpful votes
3. Re: parasites

I think Edgarramirez is talking about "sandworms" which afflicts your skin. I've never heard of anyone contracting Cutaneous Larva Migrans in Cuba, but it is acquired mainly in the tropics, so I suppose it's possible.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
9 helpful votes
4. Re: parasites

A quick check of the internet and some online medical sites shows that this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with either food or bedding.

Here's what it says, and the link to the website.

Definition:

A creeping eruption is a skin rash caused by the movement of dog or cat hookworm larvae beneath the skin.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors:

Creeping eruption is more common in countries with warm climates. The southeastern United States have the highest rates of infection. The main risk factor for this disease is contact with damp, sandy soil contaminated with infected cat and dog feces. It affects more children than adults.

The dog and cat hookworm eggs found in the stool of these animals will hatch, and the resulting larvae infests the soil and vegetation around the area. When you touch this infested soil, the larvae dig into the skin, causing an intense inflammatory response that leads to severe itching.

…nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001454.htm

Never heard of this before in Cuba. What "traveller's website" did the quoted report come from?

London, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
158 reviews
149 helpful votes
5. Re: parasites

It certainly isn't from bedding and food though.

It is in sand and dirt. Wear water shoes to any beach etc and you should be fine.

I think it's unfair of the fellow who posted about Grand Club imply that it is the resorts fault and that the resort is infested when clearly that is not the case. It is unfortunate for him and his family and certainly a nasty thing to have to deal with but not because of any fault of the actual resort. I hope they all feel better soon.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
6,381 posts
39 reviews
350 helpful votes
6. Re: parasites

first thing when I see review like that is check dates, postings and history. this one and some others just don't ring true. just joined, don't post until 3 months later etc. I wonder. 2 other reviews from august were great but 2 earlier were 1st postings and no follow up. getting responses re: caracol, still no problems there. wish there were a way to check the veracity of these reviews. carol e.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
158 reviews
149 helpful votes
7. Re: parasites

Steve I went and looked here on Trip Adviser and found the originating post is under the Gran Club forum. and posted very recently.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
3 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: parasites

I would not place any relevance to someone who doesn't even know the name of the hotel he stayed at, and who would go to the manager to complain about a shortage of ice cream? This person has an axe to grind, IMO

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
6,381 posts
39 reviews
350 helpful votes
9. Re: parasites

the review was for june 18 on and the reviewer joined sept.4 and review popped up sept.5 I certainly wouldn't wait that long for something that serious! carol e

St.Jerome, Quebec
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
2 reviews
13 helpful votes
10. Re: parasites

Thanks to those who gave us more information about this condition. It is always good to know these things and be careful.

Get answers to your questions about Camaguey