We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Havana
Search

Cuba tourist card for US citizens

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
12 helpful votes
Cuba tourist card for US citizens
Save

The info on obtaining a tourist card for US citizens to visit Cuba is very confusing. Can someone clarify how to go about getting a tourist card for Cuba if I am leaving Los Angeles, California to El Salvador, catching a connecting flight to Havana from El Salvador? We are flying on Avianca/Taca airlines. Some say the airlines will provide the card, but has to be charter company? Some blogs sat they got it as they connected through a non US country like Mexico and Costa Rica etc. so could I get it in El Salvador? In my search I have the found following possibilities:

1. Avianca could issue the tourist card at the Los Angeles airport, but I don't know the fee, and

was told they may not have any when I get to the airport.

2. I could buy a Green tourist card at an online website for $40 only if the airline accepts this

card. However, chatting with Avianca customer service to find out if they accept the GREEN

tourist card, they only directed me to the consulate

3. I could buy the card, apparently a PINK card from the Cuban consulate in person or by mail,

however, their website for US citizens does not provide the application form or fee amount

and no one answers their phones when I call the consulate.

4. I could buy it from the travel agent for $100.

Any info that can clarify this mess would be greatly appreciated!

Vivienne

Old Havana
Historic Walking Areas
Fabrica De Arte Cubano
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
46 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Cuba tourist card for US citizens
Save

Vivienne, while I consider myself quite knowledgeable about Cuban tourist cards, a US citizen connecting through El Salvador is a new one to me. Let me suggest you post your question over on the Lonely Planet - Cuba website https:/…americas-cuba as that is where most of the independent travelers congregate.

I suspect JohnAbbotsford or his wife Karina can answer your question. Both are quite knowledgeable but have been banned from this website.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
379 posts
18 reviews
38 helpful votes
2. Re: Cuba tourist card for US citizens
Save

Try the lonely planet forum with your question - John Abbotsford is there.

Artemisa Province...
Level Contributor
25,051 posts
28 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Cuba tourist card for US citizens
Save

Most airlines in the Caribbean area sell the travel cards - normally from the actual point of departure for Cuba.

I am sure that Avianca will not sell them in LA. Nor will you need the pink one - they are only for direct flights from the US. The green one sold from the UK will be fine.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
219 posts
46 reviews
19 helpful votes
4. Re: Cuba tourist card for US citizens
Save

Whoa. I didn't know about Karina being banned from the site. We certainly didn't always get along but I would never want someone that was such a wealth of information to be banned.

I looked at flights from El Salvador when I was doing my trip planning for my trip last April. I had a fairly short layover in Panama and noted that if, for some reason I missed a connection, that I might be able to get on a flight to San Salvador, then to Havana.

There are quite a few other direct flights to Cuba from other countries as well but they're not mentioned much and it would be worth discovering how tourists visas could be obtained when traveling from some of these other countries. For example, there are flights from Nassau, Bahamas, Grand Cayman , Lima, Peru, and Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic.

Artemisa Province...
Level Contributor
25,051 posts
28 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Cuba tourist card for US citizens
Save

Nassau - the tourist cards are sold in the airport, but I forget precisely where. (The main terminal - I once flew out of a smaller terminal and they had to send a tourist card round especially).

Grand Cayman - again - the tourist cards are sold in the airport near to check-in. (When I travelled that way, I did not need one myself but watched others buying them).

I have seen comments about Lima not that long ago - either here or Thorntree.

PS - yes, Karina was banned - I don't know why but it followed the deletion of the thread that was a tribute to Don Tomas.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
146 posts
6. Re: Cuba tourist card for US citizens
Save

John_Fereira wrote:

> Whoa. I didn't know about Karina being banned from the site. We certainly didn't always get along but I would never want someone that was such a wealth of information to be banned.

Yeah, well, TA is not a discussion site between traveler enthusiasts. It is not the 1990s anymore. TA is a business. Actually, a pretty big business: they are a part of the S&P 500. And they have to select the people to allow contributions to further their business goal. Pity, but quite understandable.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Cuba tourist card for US citizens
Save

How much do the tourist cards cost?

Artemisa Province...
Level Contributor
25,051 posts
28 reviews
12 helpful votes
8. Re: Cuba tourist card for US citizens
Save

The cost varies depending on where you buy them and for what route.

Those for direct flights from the US can cost between $50 to something over $100. Those for flights from other countries from $20.

Edited: 1:02 pm, September 12, 2016
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Cuba tourist card for US citizens
Save

Thank you for your quick response. We would fly with JetBlue out of Ft Lauderdale.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
10. Re: Cuba tourist card for US citizens
Save

As a Canadian resident, we are lucky never have problem with that 'tourist card' because it's always included in the airline's ticket price. But just curious, if anyone want flew from US, do they allow to boarding without it?