We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havana Visit

Cornwall
Level Contributor
11 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Havana Visit

I have just come back from a visit to Cuba travelling with my husband and two friends. It was our first visit and we stayed and the Tryp 'Cayo Coco but I particularly wanted to see Havana. Thanks to Trip Advisor I contacted Jorge who was extremely helpful with advice prior to our trip. Unfortunately he was booked at the time we were there but he arranged for Martha to give us the guided tour and she was excellent. She didn't kill us with information (as we have found with some guides) but showed us around Old Havana at a sensible pace. We had guide books but were especially interested in the day to day living of the Cuban people as she answered all our many questions. She spoke perfect English and also had a really lovely manner and sense of humour (no doubt needed in that job!!) We certainly would not have had such an informed tour without her. The contact for Jorge has been mentioned in the last post so won't give it again.We booked our own flights to Havana and our own hotel, the Ingleterra, while in England but booked the Tropicana show through our rep at the hotel. I spoke to several people at the hotel who had gone to Havana on the organised trips and some only went for one day and really only got a whistle stop tour and the ones that stayed the night were in a hotel near Tropicana which is way out of Old Havana. I would recommend anyone to contact Jorge as like the last post Havana and Cuba are so different to anywhere else that you will have loads of questions.

I agree that the people in Havana are amazingly clean and tidy and quite agree that they put our country to shame especially when you consider how many of them have to live. We walked around a lot of the backstreets and never once felt threatened, even at night, something you couldn't say about any English city!! All the people we met were very polite and keen to talk and we didn't encounter any of the hustlers that have been mentioned in some previous posts. O.K. a few beggers asked for money but there was no aggro if you said "No" and apart from a couple of teenagers asking for my husband's cap there was noone asking for anything.

The architecture in Havana is amazing and also the old cars, even the Lada taxis held together with tape are worth seeing.

No doubt there are some people who will go and not enjoy it but we had a great time and would recommend it to anyone.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
TRYP Cayo Coco
TRYP Cayo Coco
6,148 Reviews
Cayo Coco, Cuba
Old Havana
Old Havana
17,448 Reviews
Cuba
Tropicana
Tropicana
2,491 Reviews
Cuba
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Havana Visit

Nice review. How long did you stay in Havana?

Did you do the walk about or tour in a car?

How was your food experience ?

What sight did you like the most?

I was in Havana about 30 years ago and want to go back. I was highly impressed by the Havana harbour and the Museum of the Revolution.

Mentioned in this post
Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
741 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Havana Visit

Thanks for that, Demelza!

I have employed the services of Jorge, he is arranging a trip to, tour of, and overnight stay in Havana for me and my friends in April.

He's a great guy to deal with, very helpful and knowledgeable.

So looking forward to the Havana trip now, still got 9 weeks to go though :`(

Mentioned in this post
vancouver
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Havana Visit

I was just in Havana and stayed at a really nice Casa Particular... the people were so hospitipol and the accomidations were top notch - we had our own one bedroom suit attached by a roof courtyard to their main home... it was awesome. I spent my birthday with this family and they were so kind they even baked me a cake and bought us wine to celebrate - we all had a big dinner together it was awesome. Nora is a former Bio Chemical Engineer and has traveled to several countries... even her Mother - we called her Grama spoke good english... tell tehm Jessica and the kdis from Canada sent you!!!

Nora and Mesas home is

Casa Colonial "La Terraza"

Belascoain N0# 207

e/ Neptuno y Concordia, Centro Habana

Only 15 min from all main attractions downtown old Havana, Capitol building, Museums etc... 2min from teh sea wall

Tel # (537) 864 1275

www.casaterraza.com

noraesquivel15@yahoo.es or liria@forestales.co.cu

Mentioned in this post
Casa Colonial La Terraza
Casa Colonial La Terraza
251 Reviews
Cuba
Cornwall
Level Contributor
11 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Havana Visit

Hi Macdon, We stayed for 2 nights - days at the Hotel Ingleterra which is in Old Havana. We walked most of the time but also had a trip to the ferry in a banana car. We caught the ferry across to the other side of the river where the Jesus statue is and then got a taxi (this was an illegal one) back.

Food wise we ate at Tropicana one night when we went to the show and in a restaurant the other night but the food wasn't very good. We ate at lunch time in a restaurant that was recommended by Steve on TA but can't remember the name. It had a lot of tables outside and live music but when we ordered everything we wanted was "off". When we said we would leave the waiter said they would go to the shop and buy some chicken so in the end we stayed but it wasn't anything I would want again. Still I don't think you go to Cuba for the food. We had beef, pork, and chicken and it was all overcooked and usually tough but we weren't there long enough to find a Cuban place - maybe the answer is to eat in the local houses as suggested?

We didn't really enjoy anywhere especially - just the whole atmosphere and the music and the buildings etc.

I hope you enjoy your stay when you return.

Mentioned in this post
Old Havana
Old Havana
17,448 Reviews
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Teesside, England
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Havana Visit

who is jorge as I would like to go to havana from cayo santa maria

regards

sarah

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Havana Visit

Hi Sarah. Jorge's services have been used by many people on this forum, if you are going to Havana I would recommend that you contact Jorge, he can arrange many aspects of your visit for you ~ for example; travel arrangements, accomodation in hotels and private houses (Casas), shows, restaurants etc and of course full Guide services around Havana and other areas of Cuba.

Jorge is a very reliable man and comes highly recommended by many people from this forum, he will arrange everything with precision for you and everything comes with a very reasonable price tag.

I am sure Jorge would not mind you contacting him at:- jorgeguide2004@yahoo.es

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Teesside, England
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Havana Visit

Many Thanks

I will contact him and let you know

regards

Sarah

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Havana Visit

How much did this cost so I have an Idea and to make sure I have enough

regards

sarah

9. Re: Havana Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, August 23, 2009
;