We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any ideas for a two day havana itinery please?

London, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Any ideas for a two day havana itinery please?

Me and the girlfriend are taking a two day stop in Havana before moving onto Varadero. Can anyone suggest any ideas for an itinery. What we are looking for really is to experience some Cuban Culture and History before going on to what most people describe as a place that is far removed from the country as a whole. We both enjoy history and art in the day and would like to experience some authentic Cuban entertainment, food and drink in the evenings. We are going to be staying at the Parque Central as this seems to be a good location in the eyes of the Havana experts on this form. Did want to try the Club Tropicana too but am put off by the reviews of it being an overpriced tourist trap. Can anyone advise please as I am steering away from going there but dont want to regret not going when I leave. Are there any other places that are tourist friendly that give the Cuban flavour of entertainment and culture that anyone can suggest?

Thetford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Any ideas for a two day havana itinery please?

Hi, we have just come back from Cuba after spending 4 days at one of the resorts near Holguin and then 2 days in Havana.

I have to say that we had an amazing time in Havana, we took the advice off the Forum and contacted Jorge jorgeguide2004@yahoo.es and he arranged a guide for us for a walking tour of the Old city including the Cultural quarter of the city, the guide was amazing, she knew about all aspects of the city and her English was flawless. What was really good, was how she showed us, not only the main tourist attractions but some of the more intimate and social aspects of life in Havana. I cannot reccomend this enough. Interestingly our tour party had a meeting on the first morning and when we said we had made our own plans they were very unhappy and tried to put us off going, mainlyt because they wanted to sell us very inflated price tours

If we had more time , I would recommend a full day tour with Jorge or one of his guides as we only saw a very small part of the city. The best way is to either hire a car (for the very brave) or hire a taxi for the day. A reasonable rate can usually be negotiated.

We asked our guide on the tour which were the best places to eat. She showed us three restaurants and we chose La Patio near the St Christoper Catherdral in the Plaza de la Catedral. Although the menu was somewhat limited we had one of the best meals I have had anywhere. The seafood in particular was exquisite, service was top notch and of course there was live music. Prices were higher than some of the other places we looked at but it was worth it

Things to watch out for are:

The guys near the Capitol building will take your photgraph with an original kodak box camera for 1 cuc. Don't give them any more though or they plead they have no change.

The debate in Park Central square, The guide told us that the debates are always about Baseball, they get very heated and are very entertaining. We saw about 50 men arguing and getting very intense, sometimes hundreds get involved.

Visit the apothecary on Brazil Street near the Capitolo building, it is an original Pharmacy and operate as such

Partagas Cigar factory behind the Capitolo building is worth a visit, we did that on our second day. It costs 10cuc for a 1 hour tour and you see how cigars are made from start to finish. Its not suitable for anyone who has difficulty climbing stairs though.

12. Re: Any ideas for a two day havana itinery please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Havana