We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Connection worries!

London, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Flight Connection worries!

Hi

We are connecting from Grand Cayman to an onward flight to London. We land at 3.20pm and our next flight is 7.30pm. Will it be enough time? Does anyone know if Cayman Airways are in the same terminal as Virgin Atlantic?

Im hearing all these horror stories of people missing flights and they have got to the airport 3 hours before etc etc

thanks in advance !

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,326 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Connection worries!

When I last travelled with Cayman Airways, they were in terminal 2 - but that could have changed since. Virgin will be terminal 3.

If you need to collect your bags and then check in again, it sounds like it could be tight.

Edited: 2:59 am, June 06, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Connection worries!

Hi bear do

Thanks for your help

Can you walk from terminal 2 to 3?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,326 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Connection worries!

It is not really. Google maps reckons 2.5 kms - and I am not sure if that road has footpaths. It is only a few minutes by taxi.

But it can often be slow getting out of terminal 2 - that is where all the flights from the US come, and so many travellers have lots of stuff they are bringing for family.

Beardo

Edited: 10:23 am, June 07, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight Connection worries!

Hi Beardo

Thanks again for replying. Do they not have special lanes in terminal 2 for people in transit?

I'm thinking now that 4 hours won't be enough time!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,326 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight Connection worries!

Not that I am aware - I think it is pretty unusual to be transiting like that. Did you book these as a combined ticket ? Or are they two separate tickets ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight Connection worries!

Hi Beardo

we booked as 2 separate tickets as we are staying in Grand Cayman for 2 weeks first

we fly from London to Havana and then GC for 2 weeks and back home to London via Havana

I would have thought 4 hours would be enough time but Im a bit worried now

thanks again

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,738 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight Connection worries!

Right if you are flying London to Havana on Virgin you will have to fill in the Cuban tourist visa card:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Touristcard-1.jpg

Dependent on who you booked through you may have to apply for one of these or buy it at the Virgin desk at Gatwick. You will not be allowed to board without having one of these in your possession.

Vilnius
Level Contributor
557 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight Connection worries!

See my comment on your other thread...... if you are on seperate tix you may need 2 x entry visa & 2 x exit visa.... one each for inbound & same for outbound

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight Connection worries!

I don't know if this site has been recently updated, but it shows that Cayman Air uses Terminal 3:

http://www.havana-airport.org/airlines.html

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,326 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight Connection worries!

I have no idea whose website that is, but note they refer to Iberia - and Iberia stopped flying to Cuba last year.

They also refer to Terminal 2 undergoing construction - I think that was finished about 4 years ago, and that was when Cayman got moved from 3 to 2 - though they could have been moved back again later.

Edited: 8:56 am, July 15, 2014