We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jineteras on El Malecon, Havana

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Jineteras on El Malecon, Havana

My friend who just came back from Havana advised me to be careful while walking on El Malecon especially with girlfriend or wife as you may encounter lots of Jineteras approaching you even if you are not alone. Their aggressive approach really made his girlfriend shocked and upset. Is it true?

Old Havana
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Old Square (Plaza Vieja)
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Plaza de la Catedral
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Fabrica de Arte Cubano
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,699 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jineteras on El Malecon, Havana

If you appear to be a fresh, naive tourist then yes, you'll get lots of unwanted attention along the Malecon, especially in some sections and especially at night.

Cheers,

Terry

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,699 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jineteras on El Malecon, Havana

That said, "shocked and upset?!" Really?

That seems a bit over-the-top, but appearance is everything and if they were presented themselves as poster kids for dumb tourists, then yes, I could see the attention being overwhelming for some people.

Cheers,

Terry

Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jineteras on El Malecon, Havana

Once you start talking to them or even smile at them, they will be persistent in trying to sell you what they think you need. Don't make eye contact or make small talk in any way. Usually if you keep on walking without slowing down, a simple "No Gracias" will be all you need. There are a high number of jineteros along the malecon and in Old Havana.

Edited: 3:13 pm, September 12, 2013
Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jineteras on El Malecon, Havana

Wow. The above comments are the difference between what I was thinking and what I actually wrote. I guess I'm just a lot nicer then that Martian guy.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,699 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jineteras on El Malecon, Havana

Everyone is, Simon. lol

Hope things are cool with you.

Cheers,

Terry

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jineteras on El Malecon, Havana

Well even I was bit surprised when I heard "shock and upset". So write this post to hear other’s experiences.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jineteras on El Malecon, Havana

How you get treated by any hustler or "fren" is going to depend a lot on your attitude. Frankly, unless you are in Cuba in some other capacity other than tourist, I believe all you are going to meet are hustlers.

After much negative experience, I totally ignore any one who approaches me with "hey fren, where are you from" etc etc. Saying anything just keeps the door swung open so they can try to get at your wallet. Even the most seemingly innocent conversations that I have had with Cubans that I have met eventually leads to some kind of hustle.

These days, I don't get harrassed..... much.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jineteras on El Malecon, Havana

To give a woman POV... The girl walks with her boyfriend, who's constently approched by prostitutes who completly ignore her and make moves at her boyfriend... We are not talking about someone offering cigares or illegal casas, we're talking about prostitutes offering themself to a guy when the girlfriend is next to him.

If it had been my first time in Cuba, I would have been shocked, as prostitutes here don't do that (that I'm aware of), especially not on a touristic spot. But now, I know that most Cubanas think that, if the girl is a yuma, then it's no competition and the guy is fare game...

Like it was said. Don't look at them, walk with confidence, just pass by them without even noticing them, otherwise you will get a lot of attention...

Toronto
Level Contributor
280 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jineteras on El Malecon, Havana

I walked along the malecon with a platonic female friend and not a single person, male or female spoke to me.

When I walked by another night by myself, a few of the girls tried to call me over. I just smiled politely and continued walking.

This was less than 2 months ago, so I don't see it having changed that much in such a short time.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,867 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jineteras on El Malecon, Havana

“ ... the guy is fare game...”

That was maybe the most perfect use of a heterograph that I have ever seen on TA!!!

☺ ☺ ☺