We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation in Havana - Expert Input Requested!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Family Vacation in Havana - Expert Input Requested!

Thinking of a DUO vacation with Havana on the front end (3 nights) and Veradero on the tail end (4 nights). (tour company only offers this itinerary) It has been over 10 years since my husband and I have been to Havana, and it was just for a day trip. Our 16 year old son is very interested in visiting Havana as he is a huge history buff, and I know will get a lot out of the rich history in Havana. So, here goes my questions.

1. Based on our son's historic interests and limited time, should we stay in old Havana?

2. Recommendations as to where to eat for a family whose son's favourite food place is currently the golden arches.

3. Any places of interest that we absolutely should not miss?

Havana, Cuba
Destination Expert
for Varadero
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Vacation in Havana - Expert Input Requested!

Old Havana is not necessary, however if you like to stay in old mansions, historic places, Habana Vieja offers that excperience. If you stay in Vedado or Miramar you can still go to Habana Vieja by taxi: 6-10 CUC per ride. No huge night life in old havana after 10 p.m.

In Cuba no Golden Arch (thanks God) but there you might show your son REAL FOOD, like real fish, real langosta and other stuff. You can find hamburgers (one of the best is in Parque Central) but you can also try the sloppy joe's sandwich, that can also be an alternative.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Vacation in Havana - Expert Input Requested!

Based on your criteria, you should stay in Old Havana. For history buffs a visit to the Hotel Nacional is a must. You may have problems with a picky teenager that likes fast food. I'm sure he'd prefer a ham and cheese sandwhich over a hamburger in Havana to go with his french fries. For other things to see/do/eat check out http://www.cubaabsolutely.com/ .

Ourense, Spain
Level Contributor
504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Vacation in Havana - Expert Input Requested!

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147271-d2241…

tripadvisor.ca/…REVIEWS

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Vacation in Havana - Expert Input Requested!

For Cubas History why not visit the Museum of the Revolution, it covers the History of Cuba to the present day not just the revolution. The museum is housed in Batista's former presidential palace which is an amazingly beautiful building in itself. Outside the museum you have exhibits of cars, planes and tanks and also the Granma Yacht that brought Fidel, Che, Raul etc from Mexico to Cuba.... Its interesting though a little muddled!

5. Re: Family Vacation in Havana - Expert Input Requested!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 01, 2014