We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adult spanish lessons in Havana

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Adult spanish lessons in Havana

Last year I read a classified ad in the Globe and Mail about a chap in Ottawa who organized groups to study spanish in Havana. You could choose to stay in an apartment/hotel or with a family and attend classes in the morning with free time in the afternoon. I've checked the Globe but cannot find the ad. Does anyone know of this group and the contact person?

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,788 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Adult spanish lessons in Havana

I’ve seen this company advertising in a few publications:

artgestion.com/spanishimmersion/…Home.html

I thought that they used to do programs in Havana and Cienfuegos, but this pamphlet only refers to Cienfuegos.

You could phone them at 819-268-5749 or 819-268-2564.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adult spanish lessons in Havana

I am leaving soon for a trip to Cuba and will be taking a week of Spanish in Havana at the end of my trip. 'Cactus' and 'Apple' advertise 'schools' but I suspect are really just acting as middle man (and adding 50% markup) because most of the time they are contracting tutors from the university; as they don't have established schools in Cuba like they do in Europe. (I know because I spent a few weeks in Granada three years ago).

Cactus does now advertise a school in a "suburb" of Havana several miles from the Malecon areas.

I ended up arranging my own language tutor.

You can try these folks if you want to go to Santiago: http://www.academiacaribe.com/index.html

Good luck in your quest.

Edited: 8:50 pm, January 21, 2013
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
16,979 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adult spanish lessons in Havana

You might find something through the Institut Superior del Arte.

Halifax
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adult spanish lessons in Havana

The University of Havana has Spanish language classes 5 mornings a week starting on the first Monday of each month. You simply show up and take a placement test on that first Monday of the month. The classes are fabulous and the international mix of students is fantastic. The classes are also low cost, with the first week being $100 and each of the next 3 weeks being considerably less. Check the Univ. of Havana website for more details and contact info.

Your accommodation is your responsibility but there are many many casas available in the area for $25 - $35 per night, some including some meals.

5. Re: Adult spanish lessons in Havana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 26, 2014