We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parque Central or Hotel Florida

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Parque Central or Hotel Florida

Can't decide if we want to spend the $$$ for Parque Central (is it really worth it? Yes I know it has a pool, but will we use it?) or go for something less fancy and which most likely has more character and is more in line with what we would like to pay. There will be me, my husband and 16 year old daughter and we will be spending two nights in Havana. Is there anyone that has been to both and has an opinion and can give me the pros and cons of each?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parque Central or Hotel Florida

I have been to the Parque Central a few times and I have stayed in the Hotel Florida overnight. A few things to keep in mind....

Parque Central has a pool and rooftop terrace, the Hotel Florida does not. Parque Central is surrounded by taxis, Hotel Florida is situated on a pedestrian-only street.

Hotel Florida has an in-house disco/bar that goes until late and the rooms are by no means sound-proof from it. Hotel Florida has that Old Havana feel and look to it that the more modern Parque Central does not.

Wherever you end up, have a jolly-good time!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,840 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parque Central or Hotel Florida

Do you want to visit Havana ? Or do you want to stay somewhere that gives the feeling it isn't really a part of Havana.

Some of the smaller Habaguanex places might give more of a Havana feel, without the noise of the Florida.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parque Central or Hotel Florida

Why did you decide on these two hotels Valerie? If you take Beardo's advice here is the website for Habaguanex http://www.habaguanexhotels.com/ . Have you considered staying in a Casa Particular? If you're not familiar with the term it's a Cuban version of a bed and breakfast. Check some of them out at http://www.havanacasaparticular.com/ .

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parque Central or Hotel Florida

On the back side and attached to the Florida is the Hotel Marques de Prado Ameno.

It has a lovely courtyard and is far from the noise of the Florida's "piano bar" known as the disco.

You breakfast is served in the Florida.

The Prado Ameno can be accessed from O'Reilly street during the day. Your taxi can pull up to the door.

You would also appreciate being hassled less staying somewhere other than the Parque Central.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parque Central or Hotel Florida

Thank you to everyone's comments.

To: beardocubauk - Yes we want to visit Havana. This is our first trip to Cuba and we will have spent 7 days in Varadero so will be ready to do as much as we can in such a short time. Plan on hiring a guide to take us from Varadero and to take us around. Also want to just wander around on our own. Will have our teenage daugther with us so it depends on how much she is willing to do (this is where the Parque Central's pool comes in but I am not sure really how much we will use it?) I also love the fact that we can look over the city.

To: SimonYYZ - I chose the Parque Central on a recommendation of a close friend who travels to Havana on business. He highly suggested that since its our first time that we really should stay in Old Havana and that for now we should stick with hotels rather than casas. (He mentioned Saratgoa, Nacional and Parque Central) I chose Hotel Florida just because it has that feel that I imagined in Cuba. I find pictures can be so misleading though and reviews must be taken with a grain of salt (large ones sometimes! Ha!) I will take a look at the casa particulars. Maybe something there?

To: Senor_Radar - I will check the Prado Ameno. What kind of hassling are you referring to? Pan Handlers?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,840 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parque Central or Hotel Florida

What I was saying is that the Parque Central doesn't really feel like Havana.

Personally, I think that the Saratoga has a bit more Cuban flavour (and the pool was in the Guardian's list of ten best rooftop pools in the world !) - but I may be biassed. [disclaimer - I have been working for the foreign side of the Saratoga since before the place was just a hole in the ground.]

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parque Central or Hotel Florida

The Saratoga is definitely top notch! The best in Havana!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parque Central or Hotel Florida

The Saratoga has a great rooftop but the pool certainly isn't the biggest!

Stokesley
Level Contributor
31 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parque Central or Hotel Florida

Can't comment on the Hotel Florida, but I can endorse the Parque Central. I can honestly say this is the nicest city centre hotel I have ever stayed in! No it's not old Havana, but it's right in the heart of the city, on the very edge of the old town (Floridita's bar is about 2 minutes walk for where Hemmigway enjoyed his margaritas) and the hotel itself does have an elegant charm in a more modern style. It may not be old Havana, but don't let anyone tell you it's not 'real' Havana - cities evolve and grow and change, and just because something is more modern, does not make it any less real.

ottawa
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parque Central or Hotel Florida

Have you considered Mercure Sevilla? It has a lot of old charm. It also has a pool and is less expensive than Parque Central and is in the same location. We recently stayed there and found it was perfect for getting around easily.