We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto - Havana: Thoughts?

Toronto
6 posts
Save Topic
Toronto - Havana: Thoughts?

I'm travelling alone (male, 28) from Toronto to Havana tomorrow night. I'd like to crave your indulgence, because I can imagine these questions might have been previously raised and answered.

- I learnt there are two currencies - CUC and CUP. How do I tell the difference, and protect myself from being ripped off?

- Can I use my debit + visa cards in Havana?

- Can I get scooters in Havana to ride around?

- I'll be there for just 3-4 days: what are the top 3 places to visits and/or top 3 things to do?

Thanks a lot!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto - Havana: Thoughts?

The Cuban central bank has images of the notes but basically the CUC notes are printed in colour with drawings of statues on them, the CUP notes are single colours (green CUP 5, brown CUP 10, blue CUP 20) with drawings of actual people on them. You will mostly need CUC but change a few CUC into CUP if you like.

The only cards which work in Cuba are visa or mastercard which are not associated through a US bank.

What do you like ? What interests you. Havana has a lot of things, but what one person likes, another hates.

Where are you staying ?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto - Havana: Thoughts?

The CUC notes - bc.gov.cu/Espanol/billetes_convertibles.asp

CUP notes - www.bc.gov.cu/Espanol/billetes_cubanos.asp

On plastic, many places do not take cards, or say that their machine is out of order. But visa cards can be used in ATMs and visa and mastercards over the counters at banks and cadecas. Check they give you the right amount over the counter.

Toronto
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto - Havana: Thoughts?

Thanks Beardocubauk,

I'm staying at the Tropicoco.

Basically, I just want to discover the city, eat the best cuban food available, visit the best clubs, lie on the beach.. all in 4 days!

Edited: 4:52 pm, December 15, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto - Havana: Thoughts?

Did you just book this last minute. I was wondering why you started planning your trip the day before you are leaving?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto - Havana: Thoughts?

The Tropicoco is out in Playas del Este isn't it ?

When I last went there, the Piccolo in Guanabo did good pizzas.

But for most things, you will need to come back into the centre of town - by bus or taxi.

Visit the old city, sit in an open air bar enjoying the December warmth, walk around, ignoring the traditional cries of "Fren, where you fron ?".

Perhaps take the ferry across the bay - the official price is a couple of CUP but they may try to get you to pay in CUC.

Beardo

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
14,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto - Havana: Thoughts?

Where are you going after Havana ?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto - Havana: Thoughts?

Do you have a smart phone? I suggest you download the Havana Good Time App!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto - Havana: Thoughts?

Too much lead time - you'll forget the answers. Leave it until just before you go.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto - Havana: Thoughts?

:)

10. Re: Toronto - Havana: Thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 18, 2013