We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe with young child?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
29 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Safe with young child?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can comment about feeling safe when traveling in Havana with children? I have read mostly people comment about using typical street smarts which I get but I have not experienced 'bands of children hustling' etc when I have my own child to worry about. Anyone with experience traveling with young children in Havana would be appreciated.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe with young child?

I have been to Havana and with my kids. I think they were 5 and 8. We were guided but at no time did I feel unsafe. The main consideration I would bring up is the heat. Although its on the water...summer months can be much much warmer than resort areas like varadaro. Manageable but uncomfortable. There are certain areas you will find more beggars than others if they see you are a tourist but they were not intimidating ... in my opinion....it's probably the safest island I have visited. Maybe because there are harsh penalties for crime? You won't find "bands of children hustling...for sure not like the hubs in Italy or Spain! I get a feeling for the joist of your question and its not like that. Maybe near markets....but we never were uncomfortable.

Edited: 1:25 am, November 15, 2012
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe with young child?

Did you loose track of your other post asking the same?

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k590111…

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
29 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe with young child?

Yes! Thanks

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
29 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe with young child?

Thanks CSFUN. Your reassurance is appreciated! What did your children enjoy the most when they were there?

5. Re: Safe with young child?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:37 pm, November 17, 2012
6. Re: Safe with young child?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, December 16, 2013