We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havana,Casa Blanca Ferry

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Havana,Casa Blanca Ferry

Hi can any one give me information about catching the ferry Cost if Possible,and is worth going.was told that there is a white house there that was used in the Film same name,Ok Blue Eyes,thanks in advance

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Havana,Casa Blanca Ferry

I forget the cost, but the last time I took the ferry to Casabanca it cost almost nothing. It's a very short ride across the bay.

I don't know of any white house... the Capitolio building in Havana does somewhat resemblance the White House in Washington DC, but if you compare them side-by-side the similarity is superficial at best.

Cheers,

Terry

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Havana,Casa Blanca Ferry

Surely the Capitolio is based on the Capitol Building in Washington, which isn't quite the same.

When I last took the ferry, I think it was a few CUP. Though they sometimes tried to get foreigners to pay more. I think the ferry ride is good - you get to see different views of the bay, and you are taking a step into normal Cuban life - most of the passengers are usually Cubans.

I don't remember there being much at Casablanca except the station for the Hershey train - unless you want to climb the hill to the Cristo.

Edited: 2:06 pm, October 04, 2012
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Havana,Casa Blanca Ferry

To add - I thought there was more to see at Regla, rather than Casablanca. (There are two ferry routes which run from the same dock on the Habana Vieja side).

united kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Havana,Casa Blanca Ferry

Oh Ok.first leg of our trip Havana, we were Having a Drink or two ..Roof Bar,We were speaking about what was there.he said this white house was used in movie. he also warned us not to go over night.because it could be dangerous.But i am keen to go look see when were back in Havana

Not mentioning name there are a Few now

quebec
Level Contributor
242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Havana,Casa Blanca Ferry

i took the ferry across to Regla last year..Good Deal ! I don't really know the costcause I asked that of the cuban next to me in the cola, and he said never mind I'll pay it for you! and he did! Asked if I was from Argentina..No,Oh| Fun,

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Havana,Casa Blanca Ferry

I'm not following you at all, jimvin1. With a little common sense and street smarts Havana isn't dangerous and the Capitolio (if that's the "white house" you're referring to) was never used in a well known movie that was released in North America.

Beardo, according to Eugenio Raynieri (the Cuban architect) the inspiration came from the Pantheon in Paris and not the White House. All three buildings have the big dome of course, but the Capitolio really doesn't have much resemblance to the White House otherwise...

Cheers,

Terry

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,306 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Havana,Casa Blanca Ferry

The White House and the Capitol Building in Washington are still two different things, even if neither of them inspired El Capitolio.

And I can imagine it might not be a good idea for tourists to wander the Casablanca district a night.

Here's a video of the ferry ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1nLuGFx6CY

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Havana,Casa Blanca Ferry

Many white houses - There's also the restaurant Casa Blanca in Kohly!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Havana,Casa Blanca Ferry

"... And I can imagine it might not be a good idea for tourists to wander the Casablanca district a night..."

===========================

That's when the aforementioned, "... a little common sense and street smarts..." comes into play...

Cheers,

Terry

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Havana,Casa Blanca Ferry

Ferry to Regla and Caasablanca leaves from Muelle Luz (Ave del Puerto and Santa Clara). To Regla 1 CUP (not CUC) i.e. about 4 cents; every 20 minutes.

Lands besides church of Nueatra Senora de Regla which has the 'black virgin'.

See more specific details in Conner's iApp under "Jewell across the Bay"

…apple.com/app/havana-good-time/id385663683…