We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for an overnight (1 1/2 day) stay in Havana

Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for an overnight (1 1/2 day) stay in Havana

Hi there...

My wife and I are booked(late October) in for an 8 day all-inclusive vacation in near by Varadero.As part of this vacation,we'd like to travel to Havana (leaving really early AM) one day and arrive there no later than noon to commence our first day of touring and hotel check in.

We would then stay in Old Havana overnight and do more touring the next day before leaving back for Varadero around supper time. I'm thinking the first day of touring could be done on our own, but if there is an organized local tour after 12 noon, that might also suffice. An organized tour the next day is do-able as we could checkout of the hotel in the early AM.Perhaps the hotel we opt would be able to help with city tour bookings

Given the above aformentioned info...

I'm guessing there are early morning local Cuban buses leaving Varadero,anyone know of the particuliars regarding that mode of travel.Departure times, costs etc?Also a next day (after supper time) return back to Varadero.

How about a good clean, safe ,no frills 2-3 star hotel in a great location in Old Havana, moderatly priced is OK, but not too expensive? Any recomendations?

Any great city tour recommendations?

Lastly.....

I realize we could book something organized right from Varadero, however, I'm thinking doing things this way will give us more freedom, save money,be more cultural experience and allow us to stay overnight.We've don't mind the Cuban bus experience, because we've done that sort of thing in other countries.

Is my proposed plan do-able and reasonable?

Many thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,555 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for an overnight (1 1/2 day) stay in Havana

Start your research by reading this...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147271-c156379/Havan…

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for an overnight (1 1/2 day) stay in Havana

Thanks for the link Terry, much appreciated.

I've found 9 hotels that have availability that are priced between $78-$97 including 4 stars all within the downtown (Old Havana) area, so I'm good for hotels, unless someone can reccomend one in that price range, in that area of Old Havana. I'll read the reveiws here on TA.I'm going to book soon because I'll need the room a month from now.

I think a self organized(cuban bus) trip from Varedero is do-able.We would like to hook up with a decent city tour for the 2nd day, if anyone can reccommend something.

Cheers!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for an overnight (1 1/2 day) stay in Havana

Keep in mind that "stars" are somewhat inflated for Cuban hotels/resorts.

As for a private tour once in Havana - have a look at various recommendations in recent thread

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g147275-i99-k58…

Edited: 12:27 am, October 01, 2012
Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for an overnight (1 1/2 day) stay in Havana

Fidel....Thanks for the link, much appreciated!

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for an overnight (1 1/2 day) stay in Havana

Check the exact location of your prospective hotel. We saw a number listed as "right in old Havana" when they where a 15 min cab ride away. Look for one east of Parque Central.

If you stay at an Iberostar brand all inclusive they allow you to transfer your nights to the Parque Central in Havana.

Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for an overnight (1 1/2 day) stay in Havana

Here is a link to hotel bookings in Cuba.

There is a Habana Vieja section.

secure-hotelbookings.com/cuba_hotels/…

Book through the above link and a portion of the proceeds go to 'Animal Welfare" work in Cuba.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for an overnight (1 1/2 day) stay in Havana

Senor...

Thanks for the great hotel

list.

I'm still deciding whether to get a hotel or stay in a Casa with a Cuban family for the cultural experience.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,555 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for an overnight (1 1/2 day) stay in Havana

The so-called "cultural experience" is in my opinion somewhat over-rated... there's culture everywhere... what a decent casa does accomplish is offering way better bang-for-the-buck than almost any hotel.

Cheers,

Terry

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for an overnight (1 1/2 day) stay in Havana

Ditto.

An a 'fancy' casa is generally better than most hotels price aside.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for an overnight (1 1/2 day) stay in Havana

If you are looking for "Casa" options I recommend you check out..

www.havanacasaparticular.com