We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nacional - Old Havana

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Nacional - Old Havana

Hi I'm going to be in Havana for 3 nights weds - sat in November and will be staying at nacional de cuba hotel with my girlsfriend, I will be looking to go out in the evenings for dinner few drinks, dance etc and wonder is there much round the Nacional or is it better to get to Old Havana and also if I wanted to go into Old Havana in the evenings is it safe to walk or get taxi to and from in the evening/night?? or is ait a bit risky unsafe to walk/dodgy cabs etc? obviously would always keep my wits about me but wouldn't wanan be putting myself in dangerous situation. Thanks

Old Havana
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Old Square (Plaza Vieja)
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Plaza de la Catedral
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Fabrica de Arte Cubano
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nacional - Old Havana

No issues getting a taxi into Old Havana, Their are always a few waiting around the front area of the hotel. I personally would stick with the Nacional area of Vedado.

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nacional - Old Havana

cheers, is it better for nightlife round that area then or is it just a lot easier as won't need to take taxi etc.?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nacional - Old Havana

Their is a lot of night life near the Vedado area. What type of music are you into?

Jazz Cafe, Zorra y El Cuervo, Gato Tuerto are all good options..

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nacional - Old Havana

I like anything really but would love the cuban beats and deffo would be into Jazz and if it's all in walking distance from the hotel that would be even better. whats sort of cost for entry into these places you mention and average sort of price bottle of beer? I only really drink beer but my girlfriend would probably drink vodka if they sell that?? thanks for your help mate :-)

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nacional - Old Havana

Garnbag

Stayed in the Nacional a few times.Mentioned in an earlier discussion about the Cafe Sofia.Go out the front door of the Nacional to the end of the driveway,turn left.Walk downhill approx a hundred yards,cross the street(La Rampa)and youre there.Great people watching,music afternoon and night.Five minute walk.I think Vedado as good as Old Havana for entertainment.Find the music all very similar(surprise surprise,Cuban!!)but really good.Some hustlers,but in my experience,not threatening.PM me if you like as I have done the rounds

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nacional - Old Havana

Just seen your other post garnbag.Theres a jazz club next to the Sofia.Entry to that dont know but the Sofia as of Xmas was free.Two beers Bucanero(fairly strong) and Cristal(lighter)Bucanero as of Xmas around 3cucs small bottle.Vodka dunno.Prices do vary.One thing I do reccommend is pay as you get your drinks anywhere,English pub style.Id rather give waiters decent tips as I go along than leave myself open at the end of the night for a scam.And like anywhere,it can happen.Cheers!!

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nacional - Old Havana

Cheers mate I might give u a pm bit closer the time get some more advice.good to hear theres some.good places near the hotel tho

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nacional - Old Havana

Their definitely are, IMO the majority of the places in Old Havana are simply tourist traps so asides from visiting maybe once I wouldn't go back. This goes for Bodeguita del Medio , Floridita for example.

Also nearby the hotel you have some good restaurants..

Cafe Laurent and Los Amigos are some of my favorites.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nacional - Old Havana

OK mate youre welcome

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply