We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA citizen looking into going to Havana

Los Angeles
3 posts
Save Topic
USA citizen looking into going to Havana

Hello All-

Looking into going to Havana and traveling around a bit. Any info that would be helpful is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Elizabeth

Mentioned in this post
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA citizen looking into going to Havana

Ok so there is no problems, you'll have to leave from Canada. YOu'll also have to lie at your border crossing on the way back to the US as to where u were. Don't get a stamp in your passport in Cuba. The problem is not with Cuba it's with your government, they do not want you travelling to Cuba.

Take a few Spanish lessons and use it even if it's horrible, they appreciate the effort.

Good luck and have fun

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Manitoba
Level Contributor
786 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: USA citizen looking into going to Havana

Best not to leave via Canada due to flight manifests disclosed to the US, besides, LA is closer to Mexico. Ideal way would be from Cancun. Request info from Voyhavana who is on this forum. He has contacts who can assist american travellers to Cuba. Also, if you obtain a wonderful guidebook called Lonely Planet Cuba, that will be a great book to travel the country with. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA citizen looking into going to Havana

Hi Gurls:

Well, you do not really HAVE to leave from Canada. You may use any other gateways from the following: Cancun, Nassau, Mexico City, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Santo Domingo, Jamaica among others as from/to all these cities there are direct flights to/from Havana.

Cuba’s contribution to your safe traveling here is precisely not to stamp your passport. You do not have to request such procedure as it is instructed to Cuban Customs and immigration officials. Your tourist entrance visa will be a tourist card outside your passport.

Keep in mind that your USD will automatically reduced its purchasing capability in 20% upon landing in Cuba while the rest of the foreign hard currencies will be “damaged” in 10%. So, If I were you, I would bring to change here Euros or Canadian dollars to soften the economic consequences.

On lodging you will have two major sources: Hotels or licensed private houses (bed&breakfasts). Which way to go would depend on a number of factors (including budget). Combining both it is not a bad idea.

If you feel like exchanging ideas, questions and comments with a knowledgeable person on these issues, you may contact my friend jorgeguide2004@yahoo.es . He has been for a while helping you guys to visit our country and count with good friend in LA area he might put you in contact with if necessary

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA citizen looking into going to Havana

Pray you don't become very ill or get involved in an accident while in Cuba.

The US may not be too quick to get you back home and you will be facing a huge fine upon your return to the States.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Los Angeles
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: USA citizen looking into going to Havana

Thank you all for your information. I am accutely aware of my governments position and the perameters of getting there but am now pieceing together the logistics. I envy you Canadians!

I'm excited to go - I hear the people are fantastic.

Any recommendations on traveling to places outside of Havana?

Elizabeth

Mentioned in this post
Manitoba
Level Contributor
786 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: USA citizen looking into going to Havana

A must see is Trinidad. I went only once but would love to go back. Its quite a jaunt from Havana but well worth the visit. Some Americans we ran into were traveling across Cuba via train and were having the time of their lives. I hope you enjoy your journey. Regards.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USA citizen looking into going to Havana

No to create false expectations of confusion: There are no trains from havana to Trinidad.

I agree with Trooper on Trinidad. I would add also that Vinales is another site to include.

Havana-Vinales-Trinidad will make a good itinerary for a first time visit IMO

Mentioned in this post
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: USA citizen looking into going to Havana

Did you go are you back.. I am planning my trip would love to hear how yours went?

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USA citizen looking into going to Havana

Texpepper:

If your question is intended to Gurlswirl, I should tell you that she is still in the Island. I met her (her group) yesterday and we spent the day together. What extremely nice ladies!

In any case as she is unable to respond to you, I can tell you that so far her visit is going excellent…just to use her own words. They will be having fun tonight at Tropicana.

Los Angeles, CA
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: USA citizen looking into going to Havana

Hello All-In the interest of discretion..............

I had an absolutely great adventure. Everything and all is possible and VoyHavana was extremely helpful and instrumental - his advice is wonderful and he is trustworthy and kind.

One will find the local people very sweet and interesting.

Trinidad is a 2 day affair- no more and I believe Vinnales is 1 perhaps 2 days. All depends on your time schedule, your preferences and if you are traveling solo. One can find Havana is a treasure of sights.

It is essential to do your homework and research.

Many of our Canadian friends on this site have offered excellent advice and recommendations- Thanks Stevexyz ( I think that's his email?/!!)

Beware that the Amigo Card charges a % to get your money.

Wish I could say more but.........

Happy Trails

Mentioned in this post