We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
21 helpful votes
Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

I am debating whether to use a Canadian group called "Cuba Explorer" to secure a 8 day education tour of Havana and I think a national park. They have been diligent in answering my questions, etc. I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this operation out of Vancouver? Tried to do a google search regarding reviews but nothing valid came up.

Thanks!

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
501. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

My aunt and I just returned from a 5 day visit using Cuba Explorer - we did the "old Havana and the Sea" tour. You cannot go wrong with this tour company. Our tour guide was Rosie and our driver was Roberto. Both were excellent. Rosie is so incredibly knowledgeable about everything Cuba and so happy to have guests visit the country and share with them information about it. She is also a lovely human being and such a joy to get to know. And our driver, Roberto was excellent too - very safe, kind and friendly. The tour itself we enjoyed - the right blend of culture/heritage/sightseeing combined with a couple of days of relaxation at the gorgeous beaches in Varadero. I especially recommend a visit to Coincidence Farm - it was my favorite part of the trip. An inspired couple who has an all organic farm that is trying to bring/grow native plants, trees and agriculture to Cuba. And it is also an artist retreat with amazing sculptures throughout the farm.

Scotch Plains, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
502. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

Just came back from a 5 day trip that was nice. Stayed in hotel Nh Capri which was well situated and adequate and by the hotel national and had an awesome tour guide Geldrys and our Driver Roman. They did their best to accommodate us, answer questions and took us to the many placed on our wish list. We went to some really nice places to eat as well and enjoyed Veradaro beach and ate at a nice place there as well. They took us to nightclub the first night and saw some great musicians do their thing. Loved the caves and the cooking class and lunch. Definitely would recommend cuban explorer.

Cuba for Americans is strange due to the embargo and you need to bring cash, preferably euros. Hopefully, someone in government will come to their senses and end this senseless embargo that harms cubans while we spend over a billion dollars to support it. Crazy no? Also wierd that there are few stores so this is not a shopping destination. Some of the newer hotels are beautiful and it seems like hoteliers are betting on Cuba's future. Internet service is spotty and seems to be run by the state and is somewhat sensored. If you are american, there are no easy cell plans to best to use wifi when available

Overall, loved the trip which we did as a small group of us and our two friends.

York, South Carolina
1 post
1 review
1 helpful vote
503. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

HI! We just got back March 1st from a 8 day trip to Cuba and we used Cuba Explorer as our Tour Company. We came from SC to Havana to take a historical tour and while we were there we got to also visit our daughter studying abroad at the University of Havana. Our trip was amazing! Carlos from Cuba Explorer was so helpful in answering our questions and the tour guide Mariana Tomayo from the San Cristobal tour guide company was wonderful. Cuba Explorer had given us so much helpful information prior to our trip. They had even sent us the picture of our tour guide Mariana Tamayo so that we would know who to look for at the airport. She met us at the Jose Marti International Airport holding a sign that said her name and that she was with Cuba Explorer. We did not have to wait long at the airport because we did not have checked in luggage just our carry on bag and back packs. Alberto was our small bus driver and Mariana Tamayo our tour guide and they were both great! Alberto and Mariana were so helpful with our luggage and with helping us to know where to exchange our money for Cuban CUCs . They took us from the airport that day to the Hotel in Havana -NH Capri and then we met later to go to a restaurant (they also provided transportation from the hotel back to the airport at the end of the trip). Alberto drove each day and Mariana came along each day as our tour guide to the different areas we toured. (The tour allowed for free time in the evenings as well as two travel on your own days to visit sites we wanted to see on our own) . Mariana Tamayo our tour guide was fluent in English and was so helpful and knowledgeable and truly a blessing! Our tour was really informative as well as fun! We got to tour Old Havana, the Capitol, Morro Castle, Hemingways house, Las Terrazas and more. We ate at delicious restaurants (Mojito-Mojito, Restaurante Meiterraneo Havana, and Ajiaco paladar) to name a few. We got to ride in a Co Co (coconut-shaped taxi which was so fun and a great way to see around Havana and one of the days on the tour we got to go to the beach Playas del Este. The hotel that the tour company Cuba Explorer arranged for us to stay at was the NH Capri which was a perfect spot for my family and my parents who were also visiting with us. The hotel was clean and the people were so nice and friendly and the breakfast was amazing with fresh breads, pastries, omelettes, fruit juices, smoothies, delicious coffee and more. The hostess for breakfast, Sunian Hernandez, greeted us so happily by name each morning with a smile and helped us with anything we needed. There was also a poolside restaurant that had delicious food at the top of our hotel and live music by the pool in the evenings. Our hotel was in a great location to walk to restaurants and to the huge ice-cream place Copellia and to the Univ of Havana where our daughter was doing her study abroad. I highly recommend this tour company!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,564 posts
275 reviews
790 helpful votes
504. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

Can you tell me again: Who was your tour guide? 😂

Taos, New Mexico
1 post
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
505. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

We just returned from a week-long trip in Cuba and have nothing but high praise for Cuba Explorer. Excellent value for the money. Atila, our tour guide, was personal and professional. He had an incredible grasp of a range of topics--history, architecture, culture, flora and fauna. We visited both Havana and the Vinales Valley so we saw both the city and the countryside. Our driver Juan was great too. The accommodations were lovely and meals were delicious. We highly recommend Cuba Explorer and hope to do another trip with them in the future.

Knightdale, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
208 reviews
91 helpful votes
506. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

We just returned from a beautiful tour in Cuba with Cuba Explorer. They were excellent to work with, very good communications, and our tour guide Linnett was beyond amazing. We were travelling just as COVID19 started getting crazy. She adjusted our daily activities easily and we saw the beauty of the country and the people. Americans: please see Cuba. It is allowed and necessary to help encourage our government remove the embargo. We should embrace these lovely neighbors of ours.

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
507. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

We were a group of 4 couples, 8 people from the United States, that did a weekend in Havana with Cuba Explorer in February, 2020. Every aspect was amazing. Adriel was our point of contact on email and was o responsive, and able to tailor our weekend to things we wanted to see and do. Our guide when we were there, Wendy, was SUPERB. She made us feel safe, and welcome. Havana is so interesting and lovely. If you are looking for a quick and easy weekend get away from the United States, do this trip.

Knightdale, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
208 reviews
91 helpful votes
508. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

We loved Sunian as well! Amazing memory.

509. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:40 am, March 28, 2021
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.