We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Havana
Search

Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
21 helpful votes
Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

I am debating whether to use a Canadian group called "Cuba Explorer" to secure a 8 day education tour of Havana and I think a national park. They have been diligent in answering my questions, etc. I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this operation out of Vancouver? Tried to do a google search regarding reviews but nothing valid came up.

Thanks!

Old Havana
Historic Walking Areas
Fabrica De Arte Cubano
Points of Interest & Landmarks
500 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
491. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

Hi, we just returned on New Year's Day from a 10 day trip arranged by Cuba Explorer. They were consummate professionals and our guide, Armando Galan was wonderful. He was so knowledgeable about the history, architecture, etc. I highly recommend Cuba Explorer who made sure we were taken great care of and sent us everything they promised timely.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
193 reviews
68 helpful votes
492. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

We chose Cuba Explorer through a recommendation of our friends for our Christmas 2019 family trip prior to the restrictions through the Trump administration. Typically we travel on our own and utilize Trip Advisor to create our own planned vacation. I was hesitant to have our entire trip inclusive and planned with a private tour guide and driver but knew this was necessary to visit Cuba for Educational and Humanitarian purposes. Then when restrictions were placed on American citizens we were nervous this would impact our trip. This company and our gracious tour guide Mariana Tamayo completed exceeded our expectations and relieved our fears and concerns!!! Incredible trip from start to finish that was in part designed by our family with the help of Carlos Iturralde based on some already designed tours. Our family has traveled around the world and we found the Cuban people to be amongst the friendliest and proud. We loved learning all about Cuban history and seeing first hand various cultural traditions and customs. Mariana Tamayo was our most favorite Cuban and with out a doubt made our tour unforgettable!!! She knew more history then imaginable and shared with us so many cultural details. When the weather didn't cooperate she stepped in and created other options with help of the agency. She also helped change our stay when the room cause allergy issues with our family. Oscar was an amazing driver and the van was over the top comfortable and luxurious. Loved all the activities planned and the agenda- nice mix of culture, history and outdoor fun. We also had the misperception that the food would be ok and small portions. This was completely not true. The tour picked beautiful, historical spots and the food was so much that our bellies were beyond full every day we started to have to turn down food. Mojitos go without speaking-unbelievable and part of the plan. All around great combo of history, nature, and culture!!! Do not hesitate to plan with this company or go to Cuba even with restrictions. We also felt safer in this country then anywhere we have ever gone and more welcomed and appreciated!!! We began as strangers and left feeling like family.

JWS
1 post
1 review
493. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

We are a couple from San Francisco and just back from a 10 day trip to Cuba that was organized by Cuba Explorer and can't speak highly enough about the experience. Our guide (Armando) and drivers (Julio & Julioito) were just wonderful people and we were in great hands throughout the trip. The meals were tasty, accommodations clean and comfortable (if a bit spartan in some of the more outlying cities visited), sightseeing was amazing, and the days zipped by too quickly. We feel like we 'lucked out' by selecting Cuba Explorer almost at random on the Web, a very professional outfit who has been doing this for a number of years - and their experience showed. Too many in the US don't know how easy it is to visit when working with these good folks. We gained an appreciation for the Cuban people, their history, warmth of spirit, and it is a country well worth a visit - we will be back!

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
1 review
494. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

We have never written a review for any of our excursions but considering the situation at present re travel restrictions felt an obligation to let others know of what a wonderful experience we had in Cuba and of this exceptional tour company. From the airport pick up to the drop off it was seamless. Our guide Mariana was incredible: knowledgeable on all topics concerning Cuba, great sense of humor and incredibly gracious.

All seven of us on the tour were so very impressed with the site selections, restaurant choices and ease of mobility and safety. You can’t go wrong traveling with Cuba Explorer. Highly recommended! BTW, Mojitos are our new favorite drink!

Addison, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
98 reviews
20 helpful votes
495. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

My daughter and I took a 12-day custom tour designed by Cuba Explorer after having contacted a number of options found online. They did a great job with communication and pricing. Our guide was excellent (although I believe they are government employees, not Cuba Explorer employees) and our driver was safe and friendly although he didn't speak much English. I got sick at one point and Yasser even came to meet us at the clinic and drove us back to the B&B. I give them our highest recommendation and would gladly use them again.

1 post
1 review
496. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

My wife and I recently returned from our trip to Havana using Cuba Explorer. It proved to be a very well organized, educational, high quality tour of Havana and the surrounding area. The itinerary could not have been better. Our tour guide was wonderful and had extensive knowledge of the history and culture of Havana and Cuba. He went above and beyond what we expected on numerous occasions. We stayed at the Hotel Nacional, which has a rich history and great service. The restaurants that were included in our trip were all very good. I have been recommending Cuba Explorer to our friends and family. Do not hesitate to use them!

cleveland
Level Contributor
4 posts
137 reviews
86 helpful votes
497. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

they have other packages with Sunwing

Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
2 helpful votes
498. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

I've brought hundreds of people to Cuba with Cuba Explorer and would never use anyone else, period.

1 post
1 review
499. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

We had a brief 3 day trip to Havana through Cuba Explorer. We had great accommodations, a terrific guide & great sites, cigars, rum, music, sites & meals. A terrific experience.

mmk
Washington DC...
1 post
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
500. Re: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Save

We just returned from a wonderful 5-day trip to Havana with Cuba Explorer. It was a first-rate experience from beginning to end. They are experienced professionals, easy and pleasant to deal with. They walked us through everything we needed to know in terms of visiting the country, e.g. the visa process, and were very responsive to our requests and interests. On-the-ground logistics were seamless. Our wonderful driver Roberto did a great job ferrying us around the city and elsewhere and we can’t say enough positive things about our guide Eudy - smart and extremely knowledgeable about Cuban history and culture. She was wonderfully informative about each place we visited, in addition to being great fun to spend each day with. The daily itineraries included a variety of destinations that, collectively, gave us an unusual breadth of exposure to different aspects of the country and included places we never would have found on our own or gotten access to. Our destinations included such varied places as a senior citizen center, an organic farm and the Museum of Contemporary Cuban Art. While we also went to most of the typical tourist stops such as Hemingway’s house, the Cuba Explorer tour was so much more.

We stayed the Hotel Nacional de Cuba, which was a window into the old pre-1959 revolutionary Havana, and gave us a glimpse of what life in Havana might have been like back then. It’s also the perfect backdrop for the huge fleet of beautifully restored, jelly bean colored, pre-1960 American cars that populate the streets. In short, the trip exceeded our expectations and we enthusiastically endorse Cuba Explorer. We’d go back on one of their tours in a heartbeat.

Reply to: Any Americans Used the Canadian Group "Cuba Explorer?"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted