We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from Varadero to Havana

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Windsor
Level Contributor
860 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
transportation from Varadero to Havana

I have a nephew that is looking to travel to Havana for two weeks. Unfortunately, transportation to Havana direct from here (Windsor Ontario) is not available and flights from Toronto are double the price into Havana. So......

He is looking to fly into Varadero and then take local transportation on to Havana.

1. An approximate cost?

2. Bus? Taxi?

Will this be possible on the same day as he is arriving at 7 pm.

Thanks for any and all help.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from Varadero to Havana

I can only speak about taxi service, as we traveled from Varadero to Havana in one when Cubanacan didn't show up. It cost 130.00 CUC, but there were 6 of us and we needed a large van. Probably about 30 CUC less for a smaller car. Cubanacan is a large company that deals in prepaid transportation vouchers. I wouldn't recommend that route.We paid over 300.00 Canadian for vouchers in Canada before we left. A driver showed up at Varadero airport to take us to our resort, that was the last we saw of Cubanacan. They didn't appear as scheduled to take us from Varadero to Havana, nor was there any record (even though we had vouchers in hand) for the drive from Havana hotel to Havana airport. I know there is regular bus service, it's a milk run though, and will take a while, but could be interesting. If he were to leave the resort area and go into the town of Varadero, he will find as many taxi's as people, and could negotiate a set price without too much trouble. We had ours come to the resort, and know it would have been cheaper from the town. Hope that helps a little.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from Varadero to Havana

My apologies, just re read your post and realize he isn't going to the resort area. In some ways that's even better. There are literally dozens of cabs outside the airport door. Can't say about a bus at that time, though I'm sure it's easy enough to find out, but as for taxis - competition for fares is rabid, and he could certainly negotiate something. favorable. The Varadero airport is about a 30 minute drive from the resort area, taking that into consideration(as the airport is closer to Havana by 30 minutes) He shouldn't have to pay more than about 60 CUC.

Mentioned in this post
Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from Varadero to Havana

There is a bus that leaves from the Varadero airport at 9:55 p.m. to Havana. Cost is 10.80 CUC. See the website for more info. www.viazul.com

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from Varadero to Havana

viazul.com

take the bus

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Windsor
Level Contributor
860 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from Varadero to Havana

Thank you all so much for your speedy replies. Taxi or bus, both appear valid choices. Bus to Havana. Taxi back!

winnipeg
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from Varadero to Havana

We are leaving for our first trip to cuba, staying at Playa Caleta in Varadero. I am having troubling figuring out how long it takes to go to Havana. Also, is it easy to hire a cab there and back. Or is it easy to hop a bus. Will have 3 adorable children in tow, so simple is better....

Mentioned in this post
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation from Varadero to Havana

First I was going to suggest taking Viazul bus from Varadero but with 3 kids that might not be the best option. It's about a 2.5 hr ride (depending on which end of Varadero you are), longer if you are on the regular bus as it makes a pit stop half way there.

A taxi from the Varadero airport I'm told is about 80-90CUC one way now (or was last year), and having to get a larger vehicle with 2 adults and 3 kids will cost more as mentioned above. I've also been told that it usually costs about 10CUC/hr to have the driver wait for you (or that's what it can cost in Havana anyway); so maybe you can arrange a total cost a little less than 2 one ways with the same driver as he's going to have to come back anyway. Someone at your hotel can arrange for a taxi to take you, or maybe consider a rental car for a day (but that's a whole other thing; availability, are you willing to drive, you might break down and have to wait, and is the cost of a one day rental worth it, etc.)

Either way good luck and if you do make it to Havana, it would be interesting to know how and how much!

PS. To all you veteran LP'ers, this the information I've gathered from various research, other LP'ers, Couchsurfers, and Cuban visitors - if any is incorrect, I would appreciate the more updated information of course! I don't mean to post mis-information, but as no one replied to #6 I thought I'd offer something.

Edited: 1:34 pm, March 27, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation from Varadero to Havana

I booked it with Jorge and it was 110 CUC. Small/Medium car with A/C

northwest ontario
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation from Varadero to Havana

Definitely try Jorge...

jorgeguide2004@gmail.com

He returned my email within a day!!

Cheers

10. Re: transportation from Varadero to Havana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:40 pm, June 21, 2013