We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havana Boxing Academy?

Orange County
4 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Havana Boxing Academy?

Hello, I'm visiting Havana for the 2nd time during the first week of August. I'm a HUGE boxing fan and on my first trip I visited 'La finca', the training site of the national boxing team.

I recently watched the film 'Sons of Cuba' which is a new documentary about children boxers that train at 'Havana Boxing Academy'. On this trip I would really like to go there and tell the kids how impressed I am with them along with the head trainer, and also maybe take them some new equipment like hand wraps and a speed bag. I read that they are always in need of training equipment. I'm sure I could find it once I'm in Havana by asking around, but since I know some people that are living in Havana visit this forum I thought I might ask if anyone knows exactly where the academy is located?

Thank you.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,743 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Havana Boxing Academy?

I've never been there, but it's not in Havana proper, it's located in the outskirts.

Some more information on other boxing here:

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Orange County
4 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Havana Boxing Academy?

Thank you for the reply, I will keep some of those other gyms in mind but I would really like to find that particular academy in the film if possible.

3. Re: Havana Boxing Academy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:11 am, July 24, 2011
4. Re: Havana Boxing Academy?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:12 am, July 24, 2011
5. Re: Havana Boxing Academy?

Removed on: 10:11 am, July 24, 2011
Orange County
4 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Havana Boxing Academy?

@cps66- The first thing I did was e-mail the producer and he actually just responded with the trainer's contact information and also said that they really need training equipment. I appreciate your advice, but I I know that some items are difficult to purchase in Cuba even if you had the money to do so, so I would prefer to bring some equipment for them.

I'm not trying to be viewed as a savior or viewing them as a charity case, I'm not sure why you would even think that. I said I was very impressed with them and if you looked more in depth at the website you listed, you would see the producers say they are in need of equipment. Like I said before, I did visit the camp where the Olympic team trains on my last trip, and although they had nice equipment/gear for matches, their training equipment was very overused and almost any boxing gym in the United States would have replaced those items.

7. Re: Havana Boxing Academy?

Removed on: 10:10 am, July 24, 2011
8. Re: Havana Boxing Academy?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 09, 2012