We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy Cigars?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy Cigars?

Looking for Cohiba and Monte Cristo. I know that we will do the cigar factory tour but I read to avoid buying from there bc of the inflated prices. Any specific places where I will get Authentic Cuban cigars for a decent price.

Thanks again guys and will follow up after my 1st trip to Havana. Leaving Wednesday

Cubaoutings
Multi-day Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Nosotros Cubaneamos
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
OldCarTours
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy Cigars?

Authentic Cuban cigars (Habanos) should be purchased at the LCDH. There are several LCDH stores in Havana, and the prices on boxes are all the same - singles can vary. If you buy cigars anywhere else, there's a 99% chance they're fakes. Fakes come in all shapes and sizes, and quality. Some fakes are okay, but if you want genuine Habanos go to the LCDH.

Here's a link

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g147270-s405/Cuba:Cari…

Edited: 8:27 pm, June 19, 2011
San Diego...
Level Contributor
66 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy Cigars?

Just so you know

The stores inside the facotries in Havana are LCDH. There are many LCDH (La Casa Del Habanos)(government store) in Havana. ALL Authentic Montecristo and Cohiba Cigars are sold through the government stores ONLY and the ALL have the same prices throughout Cuba. There are other government owned stores with different names as well as some LCDH's in some hotels. Since Cuban cigars are a government product they set the price fixed and ONLY allow the sale of Authentic cigars in government owned stores.

There are no sale on the cigars or finding deals any where. The price for a box of cigars like the Cohiba Robusto is going to be 260 cuc at every store. The cigars are not cheap. Cohiba starts from about 100cuc per box and can go upwards to 500 per box of 25. Montecristo is similar starting at about 90cuc for a box of the smallest cigar they offer. A box of very popular Montecristo #2 is about 180cuc. The Montecristo # 4 the biggest seller of all Cuban cigars cost about 110 cuc per box. PLEASE make sure to stay away from stories about family members that have access to cigars from the factory, they are lies. The cigars they sell might be good but are NOT the brand or have the same flavor as what they tell you they are.

They also sell some cgars as singles but not all. The problems with singles is that they don't require an official governement reciept when you purchase them and what you could be buying is a fake Cohiba single cigar. It happens even at the government stores. Your best bet is to buy a box of cigars, from a goverment store(LCDH) and get the recipet.

Heres is a link that has some up to date prices of cigars in Cuba. The prices are per cigar even though you will probably see a lot more boxes than singles. All you have to do is multiply the prices per cigar by the number of cigars in a box. Most cigar from Cuba come in boxes of 25 and some in a box of 10.

…blogspot.com/2011/…cigar-prices-in-cuba.html

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy Cigars?

There also are some oustanding stand alone La Casa del Habanos (LCDH) in Miramar at 5ta y 16 and inside the Club Habana complex just before Marina Hemingway. There is a nice shop/lounge inside the Melia Cohiba.....the classic LCDH that many people go to is the one located inside the Partagas Factory.

Many of the LCDH's do sell single sticks that come from an open box so you can sample one before determining whether to buy a box of 25 or 10. There are certain special packs consisting of only 3 or 5 cigars but, in general, I find the quality to be somewhat inconsistent (i.e. some of the cigars could be plugged, though you run the risk with almost any box of cigars--not a major concern, but as a true cigar aficionado this is something I pay attention to) . Do NOT buy from anyone off the street ("My sister works at the factory") and/or if you take a Partagas Factory tour do NOT take up any of the offers from the rollers.

For additional information, check out some of the well regarded websites such as CigarFriendly.com

Edited: 12:37 am, July 02, 2011
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy Cigars?

I am very addicted of cigars and can’t live without it. I want to know about the branded and Moroccan cigars online. Please tell me from where I can buy cigars.

buy cigars

http://www.buydiscountcigars.com/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy Cigars?

I agree with the others. The prices are the same as it's owned by the government. Buy them at factory, and the handrolled ones are better, even though a bit more expensive. The ones at the airport are cheaper, but older as well, which I don't recommend.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,699 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy Cigars?

Airports are generally the worst place to buy legal cigars in Cuba for a number of reasons...

1.) Storage conditions are usually horrible. No humidors + air conditioning wrecks havoc on a cigar.

2.) Selection is generally very poor and prices are usually no better - in fact they can even be worse - than buying from a real Habanos SA approved retailer like a LCDH (La Casa Del Habanos) store.

3.) Airport staff are bored and uncaring, no knowledge or professionalism whatsoever regarding the product.

4.) Since you're on your way out of the country it's by far the most common place to be slipped fakes. How are you going to complain?...

All in all... the airport sucks for cigars...

Cheers,

Terry

7. Re: Where to buy Cigars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, October 02, 2012