We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havana Personal Tour Guide

Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
10 helpful votes
Havana Personal Tour Guide

Hola, I'm looking for a referral to a personal tour guide for a stay in Havana this June. Muchas Gracias!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,743 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Havana Personal Tour Guide

There are quite a few excellent guides in Havana, but the vast majority have little or no internet presence. All guides of course have their own advantages/disadvantages because they all have their own strengths/weaknesses concerning different services. For normal tourist stuff these three guys have all had very positive feedback:

1.) Jorge: jorgeguide2004 (at) gmail.com

2.) Pototo: pototo1956 (at) yahoo.com.mx

3.) Ricardo: pleasurelingua (at) gmail.com

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Madrid
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Havana Personal Tour Guide

in my last trip two month ago i met a guide who is perfect for a full city tour in havana and many other things, whatever you want in cuba. email him to tododcuba@gmail.com

regards,

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,743 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Havana Personal Tour Guide

Harrier2011, with all due respect based on your posts up to this point I would have to say that your advice/info has been very sketchy thus far.

Cheers,

Terry

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
8 reviews
28 helpful votes
4. Re: Havana Personal Tour Guide

I am not sure I would ever make such statement:

“..Whatever you want in Cuba…”

...lol...

Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Havana Personal Tour Guide

jorgeguide was excellent & provided me a bilingual driver & Spanish speaking divemaster for an all day trip to the Bay of Pigs. It was a superb adventure.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
63 reviews
234 helpful votes
6. Re: Havana Personal Tour Guide

Ricardo, whom I've used during my stay, is a language teacher first, that is his main service (if you want to learn spanish during your stay in Havana) but he also provides guide services for Havana. He is restricted to Havana though unlike Jorge.

Ricardo is fluent in English and French as well.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
163 reviews
227 helpful votes
7. Re: Havana Personal Tour Guide

I would go with either Jorge or Pototo they are very helpful and respond quickly.

devon
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
73 reviews
74 helpful votes
8. Re: Havana Personal Tour Guide

Hiya,

When we went to Havana in November 2009, we contacted Pototo who arranged a great walking tour and also a car ride in old american convertable, great price and service :-)

Rome, Italy
3 posts
9. Re: Havana Personal Tour Guide

Hi, I’m Tanya. I just came back from Cuba 17 Aug. I went there with my man. We decided to make this trip by car (that in the end was enough expensive but also helped to make our adventure unforgettable ). So we decided to stay first 3 days in Havana , we got acquainted with a local Cuban guy- Daniele. He really helped us to see all corners of Havana, also helped to make plan of our trip, because we went to Cuba really without any plan, reservations of hotels (only made it for first 3 nights in Havana and last 3 in Varadero), etc.

Apart that he is talking fluently English and Italian, he brought us both to places most visited by tourists and that ones that are visited only by Cuban people. We tried to avoid meeting tourists, but to feel all beauty of real Cuban life. That also means other prices, that are not comparable with that ones for tourists. Sometimes 4-5 times less. He advised restaurants with typical local food, discos, also stayed last day without any payment, but simply like our friend in a hospital, talking with doctors, who are not understanding English (and this is hospital only for foreigners) .

In the end we paid 20 CUC (like 20 USD)/day for all time we need, until we already told “Enough! We are tired! ” 

He also helped to rent car. In some rent offices people don’t speak English. Talked with taxy drivers about prices, also he can take a driver for very good price for all day. We also took it for our last day, before going to airport. In the end it was much more economic than to pay every time . Inside historic center prices are from 5 (even If U need to go 20 meters)-20 CUC (in the evening after disco).

Helped to take flat in very good condition, that in the end will be 60 CUC only, with sea view , hotels in high season in Cuba are verrry expensive, because U R paying not for room in hotel, but for 2 people and very often that rooms or bathrooms are very sad. In Havana in our hotel were towels all in holes  So better take flat.

His contacts +5352430325 (cell), +5378676629 (home) daecub@correodecuba.cu

Ah yeah, who will decide to go to Vinales I leave a number of really good local guy, very simple, who also will help with a casa particular (there is only 1 hotel “Ermita” nice, but always full. We took casa. ), will advice if U like lobster woman who is cooking it in incredibly good way. His name is Carlos. He is making horse trips in valleys, where are no tourists, but only local peasants, animals. Only problem that he speaks only Spanish, but my man, who is Italian, even was able to communicate 2 hours with him, without speaking Spanish  +5352239071 (home), +5352446468 (cell)

10. Re: Havana Personal Tour Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 28, 2012