We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Havana !!

Guaymas,Sonora
Level Contributor
10 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Havana !!

Where do you recomend to have dinner on December 24th and what to do on Christmas day, December 25th?

Old Havana
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
El Malecon
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Fabrica de Arte Cubano
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Victoria BC
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Havana !!

If you're looking for a traditional Christmas Eve/Christmas Day celebration and feast I would check with some of the hotels....

Any hoopla around christmas is mostly for the tourists benefit, Cubans don't make a big deal out of Christmas at all.

Now New Years...that's a whole different story!

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Havana !!

Hi Clau:

Christmas is not a big deal for the majority but some do celebrate it.

There are already some announcements of celebrations for both: Christmas and NYE. But I would say that until the end of next week you will not have the whole picture of everything that will happen.

netherlands
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Havana !!

Since Christmas in Cuba was forbidden a lot of years, until the visit of the Pop in the 90’s it is not yet, such a big celebration as in other Latin-American countries.

Some people do anyway their best, as it was in the past, to have a dinner this day with tradicional Cuban dishes but most of the Cubans reserve they scarse food for the night of December 31th.

All the Catolics churches celebrate on 24:00 the traditional “Misa de Gallo” . The churches get full of people this night so this would be a great ocassion to meet locals there!

I have been a few times in the Churh “ San Juan” de Letrán, in 19st., between I and H, Vedado, Havana, during the celebration of the “Misa de Gallo”. It’s great there with a lot of people, chorus, Christmas songs, organ music, etc. If you like that kind of activitites I will recommend it!.

I will be also there from 16 til 30 december, with my children visiting my family in Cuba ( I living in Europe since 1994) so, if you want, you could contact me there in Havana.

Sorry for my basic English

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Vedado
Vedado
678 Reviews
Cuba