We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide in Havana, Cuba

Brisbane,Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Guide in Havana, Cuba

We are a family from Australia and have just returned from a trip to Cuba. We organised the whole 5 days by email by contacting Jorge (jorgeguide2004@yahoo.es) in Havana only 5 days before we got there (we were in Cancun, Mexico).

He was recommended on the trip advisor forum.

I can not speakly highly enough of him. At short notice he was able to book everything for us from airport transfers, place to stay (Casa Particular), guides and also an excursion to Trinidad in the south (highly recommended).He answered all my emails promptly and was invaluable with advice and information about Cuba. Dont hesitate to contact him about anything to do with Cuba. His english is excellent.

Cuban people are doing it tough so take lot of gifts for them. In particular toiletries, clothing and english magazines and books, small gifts for children, confectionary. Toilet paper seems a precious commodity so make sure you take some for yourself. It is a fascinating country that certainly is well worth a visit if you can get there.

Email if you have questions on Cuba or Jorge.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Casa Particular
Casa Particular
23 Reviews
Cuba
Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide in Havana, Cuba

Hi Teddy Tourist

I used his services last July and also had an excellent experience. Used him based on previous TA recommendations. An absolute gem and well worth the cost.

Regards.

London
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide in Havana, Cuba

I just wanted to add that I have just returned to the UK after a week long trip to Havana which was amazing. A friend of mine referred Jorge to me and I arranged transfers, restaurants, car hire and 2 day comprehensive tours through him (including one day in a convertible car). He was amazing, he came to meet us at our hotel on the first day of our trip and introduce us to our guide for the 2 days, his speaks fluent english and was great at responding to all my pre-trip questions.

I can not recommend him enough.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Level Contributor
397 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide in Havana, Cuba

I am dealing with from Toronto. He seems to very nice.

His email address is:

jorgeguide2004@yahoo.es

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Bristol, England
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide in Havana, Cuba

I have just come back from Havana and use Jorge tours follwoing feedback seen onthis website.

Whilst i did not see Jorge himself as he was collecting another visitor from the airport, we had a lovely member of his team Analise take us around. She was very knowledgeable about Cuba's history and all of the architecture in and around Havana.

The tour was certainly worth it and was the highlight of my breif stay in Havana. I could certainly recommend him to others if they have a fascination with all things Havana, Cuba.

Mentioned in this post
Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
786 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide in Havana, Cuba

Can anyone tell me how much this bloke costs. We would like to do a walking tour around Old Havana and I've read about him and Pototo as both being very good, but not specifically if they do walking tours.

I also read on some bloggs not to bother with a guide but to use one of the street boys for a fraction of the cost and because they are in much more need of the money. Would that be wise/recommended?

Cheers.

Bethspoon

Mentioned in this post
Old Havana
Old Havana
17,451 Reviews
Cuba
Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide in Havana, Cuba

Hi,

The cost will depend on what you want. We (2 of us) had one of his team for most of a Day (6 Hrs). We had a comprehensive walking tour of Havana with all the usual sights etc. and included was an old Taxi drive for circa. 1 Hr. The cost was 40 CUC, which was excellent value. In addition we had lunch/coffee breaks and of course we treated our guide.

Regards,

Mentioned in this post
Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide in Havana, Cuba

It's the old saying you get what you pay for, if you use Jorge you are guaranteed guality service & guides for a fair price.

If you use some one off the street you pays your money & takes your chances LOL.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,949 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Guide in Havana, Cuba

bethspoon wrote: “I also read on some bloggs not to bother with a guide but to use one of the street boys for a fraction of the cost and because they are in much more need of the money. Would that be wise/recommended?”

Havana is a large city, with a population of over 2 million. For reasons of safety and security, I would not recommend a “street boy” in Havana or anywhere else. I suggest that you hire a reputable guide, or do a self-guided walking tour.

It is a beautiful city ... enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane,Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guide in Havana, Cuba

The guide that Jorge organised for us was informative and trustworthy. She was a young university english professor and cost us $12CUC/h. We paid her directly. We used her for 2 days and was excellent. I wouldnt use a street person. As a professor she only earns the equivilant of $15/month so they also need the money.

As previously stated in my original posting, Jorge organised everything for our week and I mean EVERYTHING! He was also on call if we needed anything. Good to have a contact like that when in Cuba. All up his charge was $15CUC for him to organise everything for us. VERY Reasonable I believe. He will tell you his fee when you contact him.

Cuba is like entering a black hole regarding news from the rest of the world while you are there. So they love newspapers and magazines from outside Cuba - and no they dont confiscate them at the airport!

Contact me if you have any questions on Cuba or Jorge.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
786 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guide in Havana, Cuba

Thanks for that reply teddy. All points noted and heeded.

So your guide was 12 pesos per hour, is that correct? See, here's my problem. We have booked a package to include flights, hotels and all transfers. We are spending 3 nights in Havana before heading down to Varadero, and have chosen the restaurants, paladre (don't know if thats the correct spelling) and sights we wish to see, and consequently don't need anyone to organise anything for us. The only thing we need is someone to guide us (and a university student would be great) on a walking tour of old Havana for approx 4/6 hours.

Will e-mail Jorge though.

Thanks again.

Bethspoon

Mentioned in this post