We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five Go to Havana

Newcastle
2 posts
Save Topic
Five Go to Havana

Hi,

We are a group of 5 20-30yr olds travelling to Cuba in June. First stop is Havana. Can anyone recommend accomadation suitable for the five of us preferably in the Habana Vieja area that we can use as a base whilst we explore Havana and plan the rest of our Cuba trip.

We're hoping to spend less than $50(US)a night.

We're in Cuba for three weeks so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Five Go to Havana

Are you aware that $50.00 USD will be a approximately 40.00 cuc ?

Are you talking about each or you all included?

Newcastle
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Five Go to Havana

Thanks for reply.

That price would be for a double room preferably.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
104,490 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Five Go to Havana

Five of you is not going to be easy I would think as it's probably too many to stay in a casa particular.

Unless you can find some cheap accommodation you could be struggling.

I would suggest you PM Voyhavana and see if he has any ideas.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Five Go to Havana

A casa particular will cost you 25-30CUC/room, weither 1 or 2 persons share it. There is normaly a maximum of 2 adults per room, so you will need 3 rooms. I don,t think that you will find any casas with more than 2 rooms, but you could look at casas that are close by. Like just behind tha capitol, there is a casa with one room and an other one in front with 2 rooms. It will cost 25CUC/room, so 75CUC for the 5 of you.

For adresses of casas particulares, you can look at www.cubajunky.com or ask on of the member here, like Steve_yyz or Voy.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Five Go to Havana

There are actually quite a few casas with a small extra room (unofficial, taxpurposes) that could suit 5 people. But you definately need to adjust your budget. You won't find a decent casa in Havana for that price, let alone a central one.

There are a million casa sites out there. Personally Cubajunky is not one of my favourites allthough often recommended in here. Have had wonderful service with Osmany at destinohabana.com and with Jorge who is just about your best bet on getting things arranged in Havana.

Like the previous poster said, try sending a PM to Voy. But adjust your budget first, so that you're not wasting peoples time on missiones imposibles.

Good luck and have a great stay (I just returned from 5 weeks in Havana and I wish it was me who was heading...)

Mentioned in this post
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Five Go to Havana

Yes, there is a chance to find casas that will accommodate your needs but mutual trust and understanding will be required because nobody can rent more than two bedrooms (and up to 4 adults) in the entire country. So the ones tricking the tax Man would need you to keep them the secret…lol…

It is extremely important that you choose a reliable source then because staying in Casas illegally it is always a factor of possible hassle IMO.

BTW there are Casas that would charge 20 cuc for a room (for up to 2)..but there are Casas (re: in Havana) that could charge even up to 60.00 cuc (those in Miramar and other areas with pools, Jacuzzis, 24 hour services and the like). Like in any business there are all kind of qualities and possibilities to pick from.

Mentioned in this post
Miramar Beach
Miramar Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
104,490 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Five Go to Havana

Sometimes I wonder whether people travelling independently, particularly for the first time, actually do enough research before booking.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Five Go to Havana

I would say that due to this reason it is priceless what this board provides them with finding people like you, Don Tomas and many other regular posters.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
104,490 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Five Go to Havana

You are too kind voy,but you miss out yourself who is the real expert on all things Cuba.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Toronto
Level Contributor
294 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Five Go to Havana

Take a look at my posting regarding Hotel Park View. It is classified as budget, it is in an absolutely ideal location at Moro and Colon right next to the Prado. The tripadvisor reviews are mostly favorable. It rates #17 of the 63 hotels rated by tripadvisor members. It's one of the least expensive hotels in the old city. Take a look at the google maps and you will see nothing but huge trees around you.

I haven't been there yet, but from everything I can see it sounds great. Do some research about it and see if it will fit your needs.