We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can cuban girls stay in hotels

montreal
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Can cuban girls stay in hotels

Can a cuban girl stay in any hotel overnite, That is with a tourist.And can they go to any hotel in cuba.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can cuban girls stay in hotels

As i heard, a cuban can stay at the hotel but you have to pay around 35 pesos for them to spend the day... But they cannot sleep there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can cuban girls stay in hotels

They have just changed the rules regarding this issue I believe.

I have stayed in hotels in the past with a Cuban girl who was my platonic friend. She was taken to an office and questioned by hotel management the next morning which really pi$$ed me off!!!

Some of the lower end hotels would allow Cubans in if the security guard got his payment to look the other way.

Other hotels seemed like it was never an issue.

Now however, it seems like Cubans can become guest at any resort or hotel so long as their way is paid. At least that is what I am to understand by Raul's latest announcement regarding this matter.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,345 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can cuban girls stay in hotels

You are right Halfwaytree, Cubans (men or women) can now stay in any hotels like any other customer. As long as they can pay, they can stay without any problem. They can go on a day pass, stay for a day, a week, they are customer like any others.

Toronto
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can cuban girls stay in hotels

While they are now allowed to stay in the hotels, the majority of them will not be able to afford to. This means most will only be able to stay if paid for by a tourist. If they are stating at the hotels with tourists, their names will be in the hotels' official register indicating as such.

Some Cubans have expressed concern that this may allow the authorities to easily see which Cuban girls/guys have been with more than one tourist and make it easier to charge them with communicating with tourists.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,571 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can cuban girls stay in hotels

Whilst I was in Cuba last month I was told there were several Cubans staying at Club Amigo in Guardalavaca paying 99 CUC's per night. I believe a day pass there is 20 CUC's.

No doubt we will here more about this when LoonyLou and GOM return.

Hamilton Ontario
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can cuban girls stay in hotels

'charge them with communicating with tourists' ??????

Huh???? don't u mean fornicating with tourists...lol

Toronto
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can cuban girls stay in hotels

No Deb, I mean communicating with tourists.

I was sitting at a bar with a Cuban guy I had met, he was singing and playing his guitar for a couple of tourists. He was taken to the police station and given a warning.

Another time, as I was waiting for the bus to the airport, I went for a last stroll on the beach. I struck up a conversation with a girl, and a few minutes later a police officer popped up out of nowhere and fined her.

They are not charged with fornicating, they are charged with communicating. I believe they get a warning, then a fine and then jail time. Pretty harsh.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,345 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can cuban girls stay in hotels

Travman, sorry but there is no fine for communicating with tourist. Cubans are entitle to speak, walk, eat with tourist. But they are not allowed to sollicit tourist for prostitution or to sell them stuff.

Your guitar player must have been asking for money in return for him palying? That is illigal solicitaion.

The girl must have been well known by the autorities for solicitation (for prostitution or to sell stuff or for an illegal restaurant, etc), so when they saw her talk to you, they knew that it was what she was doing...

Yes, Cubans going to an hotel or a casa particular will be registered. there name will usually be given to immigration who will check if they are often register with different tourists. If they are, they will be questioned for prostitution. As long as they don,t register with more than one or 2 tourists a year, they will not have any problem.

Toronto
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can cuban girls stay in hotels

Gengen,

The guitar player was not asking for money. There are various other Cubans in a number of locations that were concerned with talking with me when there were police close by. Both male and female.

I have been told that in some instances, a tourist will ask the police officer if it is ok to speak with some local girls. The officer will say yes, but after the tourist has left the area, the girls will be given a hard time, even though they did not initiate the conversation.

Last week a friend was with a girl at a nightclub, and there was a heavy police presence. She was very concerned, even though she was not known by the police. My friend ended up leaving the club so as not to cause her any problems.

Although they may not have a prior record, they are worried that if they are caught speaking to a tourist, they will be in the system and have future problems.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Can cuban girls stay in hotels

---------"They are not charged with fornicating, they are charged with communicating. I believe they get a warning, then a fine and then jail time. Pretty harsh."--------

Oh for heaven's sake, this is so absolutely untrue as to be laughable. I spend and entire MONTH with my friends in Havana every year. Eating out in restaurants, going dancing, parties at home, doing touristy things like sightseeing, etc. And nobody gets "charged" for being with me.

As Gengen says, they can be charged with "soliciting" and if they are "WELL KNOWN" to the local police for doing this, then yes, they can be in trouble.

As to the OP's question. Yes a "girl" can go to a hotel with a tourist if they PAY the full rack rate for their occupancy. HOWEVER..... if the same girl is going to hotels with different "friends" each week, then that is not friendship, that would be prostitution and then she would be in trouble. If however she has a Yuma (foreign) boyfriend and the ONLY times she registers at hotels is with him when he visits, then there will be absolutely no problems for her.

Cuba is opening up some freedoms for their citizens. They are NOT opening up solicitation and prostitution. There's a world of difference and a fine line for the Cuban authorities to walk.

Steve