We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Havana - What to see

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Havana - What to see

Just to let anyone know who plans to visit Havana, you won't do better than to book Jorge or one of his friends. We had Alex as Jorge was already booked and he was great. If you want to see the best of Havana, this is the best and most cost effective way of doing it.

We did both a walking tour and a one day trip in a car, which goes farther afield. Alex was great, he came back in the evening and we went to the Gun Ceremony at the castle. we would never even have known about it, let alone see it if it had not been for Alex.

Terrific in every respect.

Cheers

Paul (London, England)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Havana - What to see

Actually, anybody who bothered to pick up and read a guide book on Cuba (Lonely Planet or the Moon Publications Cuba) would be well prepared and know about the "Parque Historico Militar Morro Cabana" and the "Canonazo", at 9 pm each evening. A canon shot, sounds from La Cabana which in earlier times signaled the closing of Havana's city gates.

Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Havana - What to see

hear hear! Well done you, Paul, for doing the local guide option in Havana.

But you can't beat a bit of research afore ye go. Actually it made everything slightly more complex and kick started a life long fascination for me.

Pity more people from the UK are not going there.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Havana - What to see

I did have a guide book, but one minor problem with the books Steve, is that when the Canon ceremony was established “La Cabana” Fortress was not even built. Cheers

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Havana - What to see

Paul - we have 5 days to spend in Havana next March, what would you say were your top places to visit in the city and surrounding area ?

vancouver canada
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Havana - What to see

White family , one this you can do in Havana and it costs absolutly nothing, When i was there i went up to just about every roof top of the best hotels, You dont have to be staying there, This is where you will find great views of the city, if your interested in taking some pictures, Or just hang out and have a drink or a snack, Most roof tops have a pool and differant bars, some times some entertainment. I was never denied access, Also the lobbies can be quite lavish, and on the walls some have interesting pictures about Cuban history. This type of activity can be done on your own at your own pace, and it would not be neccesary to have a guide. Last but not least after walking in the hot wheather, Not all but some are air-conditioned. Great City.

vancouver canada
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Havana - What to see

White family, just i few other things, Of course you will explore Old Havana, not far from there is China town, about 6 or 7 reastaraunts not bad chinese food at a couple of them. A little bar called Bar Peking, nice place to stop and get out of the heat, nicely airconditioned cheap beer, smokes all the brands, one day there was kind of a music Jam session, a couple of guys with there guitars, great couple of hours of free entertainment. The people that work there are spainish,chinese mix. From Old Havana to China town is about 15 minuet walk. Bar Peking is on Zanja st. Hope this helps ya.

7. Re: Visiting Havana - What to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, September 13, 2009