We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havana Guide

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
Havana Guide

Regular readers of this forum will remember that a month ago there was a thread regarding using guides in Havana.

As the person who started that thread I thought I should report back following my visit to Cuba and Havana.

I used Jorge, who has been much talked about on this forum. All I can say is that the service I received was first rate.

Jorge arranged for my taxi from Jibacoa and my stay at the National in Havana, both at very good rates.

He arranged for a guide to show me and my family around Havana on the first day. Unfortunately, my wife broke her leg, stepping off a high curb and twisting her ankle in Arms Square. The guide sorted us out with a hospital and the excellent Cuban health system (admittedly this was one of the hospitals authorised to treat foreigners) x-rayed and plastered my wife's leg within 1 and a half hours.

Having left my wife at the hotel, the guide then gave my son and I a very quick tour round Havana. I had done alot of reading about Cuba before we went and the guide's knowledge was first rate and really illuminated our knowledge of Cuba, Havana and life in present day Cuba.

The next day, we had to cut our tour short, because of my wife's leg. I was, however, adamant that I wanted to tour the Museum of the Revolution. Jorge himself guided us on that. He really brought the museum and Cuban history to life. I would say that without a good guide, unless you speak good Spanish and have a very very thorough knowledge of Cuban history, you will miss much of what the museum has to offer.

I think that in the previous thread I said that I did not normally use guides. But in the case of Havana and in particular the Museum of the Revolution, unless you speak good Spanish, a guide will enhance your experience much more than in most other places I have visited. There are English explanations, but they are very limited.

Just one example is that in the Museum of the Revolution the starting point is the late 1400's. I think most visitors will wonder why, when what we in Europe know as the Cuban revolution started in the late 1950's. Jorge explained the current Cuban leadership's philosophy that for them the revolution has been ongoing since the first native Cuban's first uprising against the Spanish.

In summary I found Jorge and the guide he selected to show us round Havana, to be excellent both in their work as guides and in Jorge's organisation of Hotel, restaurants and taxis. The sort of organisation which was missing in certain other elements of our holiday organised by our leading UK tour operator.

If anyone wants further details or how to contact Jorge, drop me a note.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
104,490 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Havana Guide

Very reassuring Tim. Thanks for posting that.

Do hope that your wife's broken leg has mended now.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Havana Guide

Hi Tim, It's pleasing to know all went well for you; (your wifes accident aside).

It's also good of you to report back to us on the quality of Jorges services and share your experiences with other forum users.

I hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Havana Guide

Thanks for your report Tim.

Wishing your wife the best and speedy recovery.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Havana Guide

Hiya Tim...

Sound like you had a great time ...

Such an unfortunate event for your wife to be injured .. hope she is better ... see now you need to return to Havana a second time ...LOL

Please put something on an insider page (with pictures) so we can refer others at a later date ...

Cheers From Canada

Mardi

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Havana Guide

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by an insider page.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Havana Guide

Hi Tim...if you click on your Name/Picture it will take you into your profile...along the top you will see some headers....click on the Inside Pages tab and you will see that it says "contribute to Inside Pages".....click on that link and then you can compose any helpful advice, information etc and share your knowledge and experiences with other travellers....just put in anything that you think may be of interest and help other people during their trips.

Go to Mardis Inside Pages by following the example above and have a look at what he has produced.

(BTW Click on Mardis picture though...LOL....LOL....LOL....)

YQG
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Havana Guide

Now I know who you are! I kept looking for someone with a 14 year old son, unfortunately there were seemed to be a lot of young males around so it was difficult to pick you out ! We did see your wife, although we didn't know at the time. I'm so sorry about her injury... there but for the grace of God... when we visited Havana, I twisted one ankle and about an hour later twisted the other.

Glad to hear the guide worked out for you.

S.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Havana Guide

Hi there ,

We have also just returned from three weeks at Breezes Jibacoa, and had a great time at a really nice hotel.

Before we left the U.K we booked to stay in the Parque Central in Havana for three nights,and thought the best way to see the city was with a tour guide, so after seeing Jorge spoke so highly of on Trip Adviser we decided to contact him.

We was not at all disappointed, he answered all our e-mails by return and we told him what it was we wanted to do.

We was met at the hotel lobby at 10 am by Martha who was to be our guide and Jorge came to meet us as well.He took us to book seats for that night to go to the Tropicana (and got us very good seats) and also booked us into a great restaurant in Miramar, that we would never have found without him.

We found Martha to be an excellent guide, and would say to anyone going to Havana and thinking of getting a guide to contact Jorge

Mentioned in this post
Tropicana
Tropicana
2,544 Reviews
Cuba
Miramar Beach
Miramar Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Aventura, Florida
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Havana Guide

TANYA is an excellent and highly recommended guide well educated and very efficient.

She has lived in both Canada and the USA and therefore is in tune with North Americans.

Call her at 53-7-831-2459

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Callander, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Havana Guide

Hi Tim,

My wife and I are off to cuba for the first time in September and our trip includes 3 nights at the Parque Central Hotel, Havana.

I've never even thought about using a Guide before but it sounds like a great idea to make the most of our limited time in Havana.

Is it possible to tell me how to get in contact with Jorge please?

Thanks a lot

Simon

Mentioned in this post