We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearby?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Nearby?

Sooooooooo, we’re staying at:

Calle Cuba 60, Apartamento 3C entre Peña Pobre y Cuarteles, La Habana Vieja, La Habana 10100, Cuba

Which, if I understand correctly, is kinda smack dab in the middle of the beaten path. I’ve read a lot that there are still “off the beaten” path places, maybe even sine cheap eats and drinks, if we head a block or two away.

Any advice for places that are maybe a bit more authentic and/or budget minded?

Thanks!

28 replies to this topic
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
8,646 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Nearby?

We stayed on Pena Pobre, many streets in Vieja are like alleys, go a block from Obispo and you won't see a tourist, much of Vieja is like that. If you wander around you will find lots. We really liked la Makina on Pena Pobre.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2. Re: Nearby?

Thank you very much!

This may seem silly, but I’ve read on here that some places are unmarked, on the second floor, etc. As we wander around, how hard is it to find these tucked away places? Or maybe there’s a symbol or signal of some kind to keep a lookout for?

I think my worry is I’ll wander right into someone’s private residence :-)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
56 posts
3. Re: Nearby?

And any other tips also greatly appreciated :-)

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
32 reviews
47 helpful votes
4. Re: Nearby?

Yep. .

My tip is to stay in Vedado. :)…( hey , you asked )

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
56 posts
5. Re: Nearby?

I did ask, but the reservation has been made. Majority ruled, the place was booked, and I'm just hoping to do the best with what we have. We will definitely be visiting Vedado, so do feel free to hit me with specifics for that area, too. Any and all information is appreciated greatly. Thank you all so much! :-)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
685 posts
60 reviews
22 helpful votes
6. Re: Nearby?

You're staying in one of my favorite parts of town. Lots of small streets to wander, that will feel off-the-beaten-path. Most tourists stick to the "Obispo/path-between-squares" routes and better manicured streets, so just avoid those and walk, walk, walk (or get a bici-taxi). Download maps.me so you can stay oriented or mark off places.

I'd love to know about unmarked/underground spots also. I have a feeling there aren't too many, I guess if someone opens a spot in a place like Vieja I think they'd want people to find it. That may be more of a NY/London/LA/Tokyo kind of thing.

Friends who live in Havana have told me about 1 or 2 (both closed now) so I'd think they'd know about others and I'd be pissed if they didn't tell me!

But if anyone knows of one and doesn't want to post it publicly, PM me!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
56 posts
7. Re: Nearby?

hey, hey, you two--you're the best!

I found some previous tips you've left:

obispo street--ambos mundos

monserrates street--bar monserrate, not floridita

take the malceon to vedado--sophia's, king bar, la zarra e el cuervo

skip cafe paris

these are the tips that are just worth gold to my group--thank you so much!

we like to do some things on a budget so we can splash out on other things, if that makes sense, so any and all recommendations are appreciated greatly.

i'm getting the real havana book immediately, and will be watching four seasons in havana asap.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
8,646 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Nearby?

…debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/t/…23612

We did this self guided walking tour of Old Havana, on the right is the ferry to Casablanca, take that and walk up the hill to the Christ statue, and then over to the forts, great views from there. In Vieja take a coco taxi to Colon Cemetary (about 10 cuc each way)

Joann, what is that bar with cheap food and cervesa that you like just North of Pena Pobre?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
32 reviews
47 helpful votes
9. Re: Nearby?

Don't you hate it when majority rules >>>:)

what are you looking for, cheap eats, as in cheaper restaurants ? Interested in later nightlife ? Beach info ? You are indeed in the middle of tourist central, and everything, or most everything will be higher priced.. after many trips to Havana, I do not even venture in that area much, with the exception ( and here is my first tip ) a little café / bar , at the outskirt of Vieja ( by the bay tunnel ) .. Café el Lucero. This a place frequented by many locals because of the good food, AND cheap prices yOu can sit on the outdoor area, and get a big chicken or fish dinner for 3.50. They also serve huge mugs of frosty cold Cristal for 1.50. with a little music playing in the background, and people and vehicle watching at it's best , this is a place you will want to visit !!

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
8,646 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Nearby?

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review…

Has good reviews and price is reasonable

Reply to: Nearby?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted