We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A word on US dollars in Cuba.

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
A word on US dollars in Cuba.

I recently returned from a two week visit to Cuba. This was my second visit to cuba, my first being four years ago. With the introduction of the new Cuban currency a few years ago Cuba is no longer a viable economic vacation spot for Americans. Since the introduction of the CUC, american visitors have fallen from 160,000 a year to about 60,000 a year. To answer a few questions I see floating about,

Yes, american currency is accepted in Cuba. It will be discounted by 20%. Anyone will accept american currency, even cab drivers. But they will always discount it by 20%. The dollar is longer king of the hill in Cuba.

The best place to exchange money would be at the airport or at any bank. Even most hotels will give you a good rate. Some of the larger hotels have rates that are not very good.

It is not really worth changing american dollars into another currency before arriving in Cuba and then changing it again into CUC's. The amount saved if any is minimal.

The best way for an American traveling to Cuba to save money would be to prepay for as much as possible in american dollars before arriving in Cuba. This can be done by going thru a Canadian travel agency. Prepay for all hotels and intra country air travel beforehand.

Finally. Yes, go to Cuba. It is indeed a great country to experience.

Snow Island
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: A word on US dollars in Cuba.

Did any one else notice that the OP is blaming the introduction of the CUC for the 100,000 less "American" visitors per year?

Doesn't that reflect the same number as the 100,000 less "Cuban-Americans" that are now restricted from travelling to Cuba?

Just wondering...

;-)

netherlands
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: A word on US dollars in Cuba.

I don’t think Voyhavana is promoting any personal guide service in Havana. I read frequently his postings in TA, a site I visit to learn English and I find him always giving very interesting advices, opinions, etc, about everything concerning Havana, asked by potentially visitors to the city.

Sometimes I have seen other people have posted their experiences, been always very positive, about Jorge who’s by causality a friend of him, I think.

But even when Voyhavana was in fact promoting the services of his friend here, something I would consider as very normal between friends, what is wrong with it.? What is wrong with helping people that due to short visits to Havana or whatever should be the reason want to be helped by somebody able to show them in a few hours, the citys nicest sights and their history.?

Somebody commented at the other posting is deleted by the moderator that Jorges hour rate, which is less than 15 CUC was to much compared to Cuba very low wages of about 25 CUC per month. It was

Do you think Jorges receives tourists eight hours a day? I am sure he has very often, like everybody in Cuba working for tourism periods where there is no body in many days asking for his services what does mean Zero incomes for him.

Other fact is that due to the country’s economical situation, the very low salaries, high prices for a lot of basics things, when you are paying any money to someone in Cuba you are helping at the same time a lot of people besides the person is getting it.

With the money Jorge’s receives for his job, I am sure he helps other members of his family, friends, etc. Jorge like everybody in Cuba has to buy complementary foods at the free farmers market, has also to pay the guy thatr repairs the old windows of his house, gives sometimes( perhaps) some money to their children to buy some sweets that the old woman that lives on the corner sells to add a few pesos to her very short retirement, etc, etc,

So people when you are paying for any kind of services in Cuba from taxi drivers, guides, dance teacher, etc, you are helping a lot with people doing it!!

Although I am also a Cuban, I not always agree with Voyhavana opinions about some topics here, but who says everybody has to think always the same about everything?

I really appreciate what Voy does here helping, encouraging people to visit a very nice, intesteresting country, particularly Havana, that needs a lot not only the incomes that you bring to the island, but your experiences, knowledge, etc, coming from people living in a totally different world.

I live for more than 10 years in Europe and I don’t personally know both of them, Voyhavana or Jorge , so not other intentions posting this here ( I apologize for the broken English) rather than to write about what I think it is true:

Voyhavana is the most useful people in this forum, due to his knowledge of the matter..He is not also a Cuban, but a very intelligent, kind one, always willing to spend his time here, even answering, very often I am afraid, the same questions over and over again..

Is that also business???

43. Re: A word on US dollars in Cuba.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Havana