We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First day in Havana - what to do?

Stoke
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
First day in Havana - what to do?

Hello,

We are going to Havana for three nights and Varadero for ten on Sat 17th March. We have to be at the airport for 7am, and should land in Cuba at about 3.30pm.

Does anyone know what time it is likely to be by the time we've got to the Hotel (Nacional) and un packed etc., and have suggestions for what we could do on that first night given that we'll be quite tired?

With us having very limited time in Havana I'm anxious to make sure we use the time we have well.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First day in Havana - what to do?

Carl:

Let’s say that you will be getting into your room by 5.00 PM.

Nacional Hotel is the perfect place in your situation as a lot of night entertainment activities happen right there. You will have the choices to pick from a relaxing sunset watching with drinks at its outdoor patio in front of the Malecon (Ocean promenade) with some people watching included, the usual concerts of the remaining of the BSC at its “1930 Saloon” or to pick the night to enjoy Cabaret Parisien (in which case I suggest you take a nap ).

Then March 18th no doubts that your best bet will be a walking tour (guided or not) of Old Havana during the morning and first hours of the afternoon.

Enjoy you Havana adventure….I am more than sure that it will be unforgettable!

Mentioned in this post
Nacional Hotel
Nacional Hotel
625 Reviews
Cuba
Cabaret Parisien
Cabaret Parisien
708 Reviews
Cuba
Old Havana
Old Havana
17,448 Reviews
Cuba
haliburton
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First day in Havana - what to do?

try searching havana must sees, steveyyz has posted an amazing list, this is his electrical advice but look for havana on the site and it is great

debbiesreviews.proboards88.com/index.cgi…

Toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First day in Havana - what to do?

Hi Carl,

We just got back from 3 days at the Nacional and 4 days in Varadero.

You'll love the Nacional. It's awesome. There's so much to in Havana you'll have no problem keeping busy. In fact, it's overwhelming trying to take it all in. Try and squeeze in a drink at the roof top bar of the Park Central Hotel. It's a awesome view of the city.

Enjoy.

Cheers.

Jay

Mentioned in this post
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,556 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First day in Havana - what to do?

Hey Carl

I agree with Voy. Find yourself a nice spot, order yourself a mojito or any other drink of your choice and take in that sunset, or just the city passing you by. Hope you have a great trip. See lots, do lots, and be safe.

Cheers

torino
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First day in Havana - what to do?

Hi,

if you'll stay only a few days, please avoid places like "LE PARISIEN" and "TROPICANA"!!! these are very very touristics places. Don't loose your time watching these shows! Better have a drink listening to Cuban music, close to the Cuban people, in a more cuban place like "EL MONSERRATE", just behind "EL FLORIDITA" in old havana, or have a beer in a place I never remember the name (Voyhavana can help me), it's a place totally renewed except for a building whom people living there refused to live it.

Cuba is a very special country and you'll miss his soul going to these touristics places! The show is in the streets and in the places frequentated by the Cubans, not in the touristics place. So take the time to walk in the streets, watch around you.

Don't miss the sunset in the Hotel Nacional patio, it's my preferred place in LA HAVANA.

pakito

Mentioned in this post
Floridita
Floridita
1,901 Reviews
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
741 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First day in Havana - what to do?

bergerman: "Find yourself a nice spot, order yourself a mojito or any other drink of your choice and take in that sunset, or just the city passing you by."

That is *precisely* what I'm planning to do when we've done our tour of Havana and checked into our hotel. To hell with having an itinerary, just sit back and go with the flow.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First day in Havana - what to do?

LiquidSnake

You are right

It is not a vacation

If you are a slave to an itinerary

Berkshire, UK
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First day in Havana - what to do?

Hi Carl

Having just returned from 3 nights in Havana followed by 8 nights in Varedero i can do nothing but praise the country. We had a brilliant time, and 3 nights in Havana is just not long enough.

I pre booked a guided tour around the city for our first full day with Jorge [jorgeguide2004@yahoo.es] he couldn't actually do the tour himself but he sent along a young girl whose knowledge of the city was amazing. She took us to places we would never have gone on our own, and was extremley helpful. I would thoroughly recommend e mailing Jorge and setting up your own tour.

We flew from Gatwick to Havana with Virgin, and arrived at our hotel at about 5pm. Our flight was however delayed leaving Gatwick, and the transfer from the airport to the hotel was very smooth.

Our first night we just went for a wander around the streets near the hotel. I did feel a bit uncomfortable at first, and yes you do get approached in the street, however if you just politely say no thankyou, they will just walk on and leave you alone. There is a large police presence, and they know that.

We ended up in a bar in a back street that had a live band on, and lots of locals. We had a fabulous evening drinking mojitas and bucaneer beer at prices much lower than the hotel.

Have a great time, and make the most of this fascinating city.

Mentioned in this post
lancashire
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First day in Havana - what to do?

We are also flying same day from Manchester staying at National for first three days before going to tryp - see your there

10. Re: First day in Havana - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:22 am, August 27, 2009
;