We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Cuba
Search

Wondering if possible..

Fontana, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
291 posts
103 reviews
55 helpful votes
Wondering if possible..
Save

Can American citizens fly to Cuba for an overnight trip from a nearby Carribean island like Turks and & Caicos?

Camaguey, Cuba
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
12,765 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Wondering if possible..
Save

Americans are welcome in Cuba like any other tourist.

But no matter where you leave from, it's illegal for an American citizen or resident to travel to Cuba unless you comply with one of the 12 exceptions of the OFCA.

Florida
Level Contributor
960 posts
27 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Wondering if possible..
Save

It is quite possible and while it is still technically a violation, no one cares.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
24,712 posts
28 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Wondering if possible..
Save

Illegal under US law of course.

I am not aware of any direct flights from Turks + Caicos anyway.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
4. Re: Wondering if possible..
Save

Not trying to be a smarta$$ , but why would you want to spend one day in Cuba , when your already in the sunny south ?

What could you hope to accomplish in 24 hrs, other than to scratch it off your "bucket list" ??

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
24 reviews
49 helpful votes
5. Re: Wondering if possible..
Save

No 4, you could ask the same question of anybody who ever took any cruise, or anybody who interrupted their week on the beach for the overnight excursion to Havana.

A 24-hour stop in (I assume) Havana, while not giving you the time to see or do a whole lot, should at least give you an idea if you want to commit to an extended trip.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
6. Re: Wondering if possible..
Save

I don't think that's a fair comparison, if on a cruise, it's a given that your only gonna get a day in port, no visa, airport issues.

If your taking a day /overnight excursion into the city, still no big probs.

Flying from another southern destination for an overniter in Cuba is a little diff. don't you think ?

I personally don't see the logic in it, a week, four days, yes, a possible, but not an overnite.

Chris

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
24 reviews
49 helpful votes
7. Re: Wondering if possible..
Save

It definitely wouldn't be something I'd want to do either, but I try not to judge. And besides, it's anywhere from 2 to 4 times as long as a cruise stop (i.e. those are usually 6 to 12 hours unless you're on a super-luxury cruise), so if you look at it as a similar kind of stop those extra hours might somewhat justify the hassle and expense.

Anyway, if OP is going to be in Turks & Caicos it seems to be moot, a case of "can't get there from here."

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
8. Re: Wondering if possible..
Save

Well, they did say"like T&C" but either way, still seems like a lot of aggravation for a night ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
9. Re: Wondering if possible..
Save

A 1 hour flight to and from say Cancun or Miami to Havana makes a lot more sense than say a bus day trip from Cayo Coco with 12 hours travel joho.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
10. Re: Wondering if possible..
Save

Karina,

Your a pretty travel savvy person, would you fly from any of the " lesser Antilles" for a night (24 hrs) in Cuba ?