We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Cuba
Search

Two week itinerary with a three year old ... Please help !

Burnham, United...
14 posts
Two week itinerary with a three year old ... Please help !
Save

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here so please bear with me. It has been my dream to visit Cuba and it was put on hold as we had a baby. Now that she is three years old, we think its time to do it. We booked flights from Gatwick to Holguin for two weeks end november . I want the holiday to include some chilling on a beach resort and then a bit of tripping - staying in casas , travelling on Viazuls , cigar farms etc etc.

This is my draft itinerary .

1 - Depart UK . Arrive Holguin and head to a Guardalaca resort (thinking Blau Costa Verde). Stay for 4 nights.

2 - Take a 23:15 overnight Viazul bus from Holguin to Trinidad. Two nights stay in Trinidad at a Casa. Maybe a taxi trip to El Nicho.

3 - Morning bus trip to Havana , arrive lunch time . One night stay at a Casa.

4 - Next day morning , take the Viazul to Vinales. Stay two nights . One of the days take the Vinales Tour Bus to see the region.

5 - Return to Havana - Three nights stay in Havana.

6 - Morning flight from Havana to Holguin (Already booked) a day before our return flight to UK. Stay one night in Holguin town.

7- Fly back to UK.

My questions are :

A) Is this do-able especially considering a three year old ?

B) is there a way of seeing Vinales from Havana without having to stay there ?

C) Any recommendation on how to get around town in Trinidad and Havana ? Taxi ?

D)Any suggestions on changes to this itinerary / things to consider ? Any places our three year old would love and likewise, any places we should avoid ?

Really appreciate all your help !

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
111,388 posts
61 reviews
95 helpful votes
1. Re: Two week itinerary with a three year old ... Please help !
Save

It is certainly do able, but a bit hectic for a 3 year old child. There is a day trip from Havana to Vinales but I think you would be better to stay the two nights as planned. There is a hop on hop off bus in Havana that has two routes. Good value for money at 5 CUC's per per person. You can walk around Trinidad but there are buses that take you to the beach at Playa Ancon for 2 CUC, I believe..

If you are staying at the Blau Costa Verde you can book this hotel online via their web site. Don't waste your time emailing the hotel for a booking. I have emailed them 5 times and they have never emailed me back with prices so I asked my friend in Cuba to ring them and she was told I should book online:

blau-hotels-cuba.com/es/index.html

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Two week itinerary with a three year old ... Please help !
Save

Only you can answer whether your kid can cope with that amount of bus, car and plane travel.

That aside your itinerary is doable but again only you can answer if it is too rushed.

Trinidad is small enough to walk around but keep in mind that the streets are conble stoned. The most touristy parts of Havana are similar and a lot to see just by walkiing around.

Vinales can be done as a day trip from Havana but a lot of time in car.

Burnham, United...
14 posts
3. Re: Two week itinerary with a three year old ... Please help !
Save

Thanks a lot . In terms of the Viazul buses , I saw that you can book this online. Is it worth doing or is it easy enough to book once we are there ? Do they get pretty full fast ?

Can we get a taxi from Trinidad to Havana and if so , how much would this cost ?

Whats the best way to book a casa ? In advance , or once we are in Cuba via telephone ?

Much appreciated.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
111,388 posts
61 reviews
95 helpful votes
4. Re: Two week itinerary with a three year old ... Please help !
Save

I would book the Holguin to Trinidad journey online and the others you can book once you are there. You may be able to negotiate a rate with a taxi driver for the Trinidad to Havana journey as there are always taxi drivers hanging around the Viazul bus station in Trinidad. Taxivinales quotes 120 CUCs for the journey:

taxivinales.com

You would certainly need to book your casa in Havana in advance.

Burnham, United...
14 posts
5. Re: Two week itinerary with a three year old ... Please help !
Save

Thanks a lot , so is it too early to book the holguin to trinidad bus ? I read somewhere that you have to go a day before the to bus station to make sure you are confirmed for the bus , is that needed ?

I`m thinking now of going straight from trinidad to vinales by taxi stopping at el nicho on the way ... how long would that take ?

you are such a great help !

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
111,388 posts
61 reviews
95 helpful votes
6. Re: Two week itinerary with a three year old ... Please help !
Save

It's not convenient for you to go to Holguin bus station the day before your journey to Trinidad as it's too far and you will lose a day of your stay. If you have your reservation that would be fine. It's not too early to book but I would wait until you have sorted out your accommodation in Guardalavaca first of all.

Trinidad to Vinales is 325 miles so it's a long journey and would be 160 CUC:

taxivinalescuba.com

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: Two week itinerary with a three year old ... Please help !
Save

......and would take 5-6 hours (or more with the waterfalls stop).

Note prices B has given you are for good "government" taxi - a private one could be a little as a half BUT do not agree to anything without seeing both car and actual driver. Have you thought about safety seat for kid? - a lot of Cuban cars don't have seat belts.

Burnham, United...
14 posts
8. Re: Two week itinerary with a three year old ... Please help !
Save

okay great , so I just booked a resort in Guardalaca . i`m going to book the bus as well.

I have emailed the taxi company you provided.. i think it will be great for us to just go directo to Vinales , that way when we return to Havana , we have 4 days of stay there... And relaxation ! Are there good beaches in Havana ? If a "private" taxi costs half , is it worth booking when we get to Trinidad then via our casa owners maybe ?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
111,388 posts
61 reviews
95 helpful votes
9. Re: Two week itinerary with a three year old ... Please help !
Save

I would certainly wait until you arrived in Trinidad myself before booking a taxi to Havana. The beaches in Havana are at Playa del Este and there is a hop on hop off bus to there costing 5 CUC per person.

Burnham, United...
14 posts
10. Re: Two week itinerary with a three year old ... Please help !
Save

Thanks... I think we will do that.. Keeps things slightly flexible as well.

Is it common practice to ask taxi drivers to stop along the way or do they just want to take you from A to B ? Any suggestions for stopping points along the Trinidad to Vinales route ? I was thinking El Nicho Waterfalls..