We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuban Currency

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,304 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cuban Currency

Can someone please differentiate between Convertible and Not Convertible pesos.

Also are there ATM's where one can withdraw currency on a European cash card?

I have read to just take Sterling; I don't think I want to take hundreds in GBP and would feel it safer with card and just some cash.

Thanks

jklejna@aol.com

glasgow-scotland
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuban Currency

Hi John9159

convertible pesos are the only currency that tourists can use.

In relation to taking cards there are no atm's depending on where you are staying you can use your credit cards for excursions but i would advise you to take the sterling and use your hotel safe we came back on monday from Cayo Coco and this is what we did which is very safe.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuban Currency

A little clarification:

CUC= Cuban convertible Pesos

CUP= Cuban non convertible pesos

1 cuc = 24 cup

Those who come to resorts areas like Cayo Coco, Largo, Varadero, etc rarely use anything else than CUC; But, CUP and CUC can be used by anyone to receive the services priced in any of the two currencies. In Cities (like Havana) and towns there are a lot of services priced in CUP which are accessible to foreign visitors.

Knowing the rate given above will help you to identify prices. Sometimes CUP can be seen in a Menu as MN (meaning Moneda Nacional) which is a reminiscence of the days when the USD was also circulating.

For example you may walk along Obispo Street in Old Havana and you will see food stands charging 10.00 for a ham sandwich. Well, with such price you know that it refers to Cup. As majority of those offering services priced in CUP will accept its equivalent in CUC we shall then know that we are in the presence of a 0.50 cuc cents sandwich.

Both currencies are circulating legally so both can be handle and used to pay by anyone in Cuba.

Said so, it will be then unreal to think that a traveler qill be able to adjust quickly to such issues and the truth is that the majority of the services that an average travelers will required are priced in CUC which I am sure it is what Stacey meant to say..

And yes, there are ATM in which only Visa is cashable. But not easy to find either. I think I have some place all the addresses of the ATM’s in Havana. If I find them, I will send them to you John…though we do not know yet if you are visiting the City….you should BTW.

vancouver canada
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuban Currency

When i was in Havana my daughter and i were walking down a street and decided to buy an ice cream cone, The sign said 3pesos so i gave the guy 10cuc he gave me 4cuc back seemed right to me but as i ate this delisious cone, i looked around and all the locals were eating them as well, i thought to my self how can all these people afford this. Latter at the casa i was staying at, i mentioned this to the lady, She had a good laugh and then explained to me that the cones were 3cup. I could have actually bought 48 ice cream cones, Oh well they truelly were delisious home made ice cream.

South Wales
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuban Currency

Hi John

We've just got back (yesterday) from our [fantastic] trip to Cuba. I would recommend that you take Sterling. We took 'hundreds' which we distributed throughout our luggage and then changed it at the aiport. The problem was that two of our resorts (Soroa and Cayo Levisa) were limited on when they could change. If you pay for anything with credit/debit card then you pay an extra 11% charge on top which adds up incredibly. Having said that, you will find that most things in Cuba are very reasonable (ie fantastic 3 course meal with drinks at La Guarida in Habana - only £22 for 2).

Just use the safes in the rooms. (My friend used her ATM card and it was swallowed up - silly thing didn't cheque if the issuing bank was American or not - and it was!)

Enjoy yourselves, we're very jealous!

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuban Currency

Hiya

Just saw the 11% misnomer again...

This is just and exchange cost from CUC to USD to the foreign currency and isn't any different than normal exchanges ..

You WILL have to check IF your Credit Card adds a percent exchange on CC transactions (small print) ... this is not added in Cuba but via your CC company.

Cheers

Mardi

6. Re: Cuban Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 19, 2009