We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian's ashtray?

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Canadian's ashtray?

Wow! Having been to Cuba twice now. I have really fallen in love with the beaches and the Cuban people. There was one thing that really bothered me though. As I walked through the lovely oatmeal colored sands, I really started to notice the cigarette butts every where sometimes even getting them stuck between my toes, or plastic drinking cups and plastic bags. These beaches are a gift from nature. NOT a giant ashtray! Would it hurt to keep a little container handy while on beach to put your butts into and then dispose of them into the many many garbage containers they keep handy. Plastic bags and cups are a danger to all the wildlife. Dolphins think they are jelly fish in the waters and can die from ingesting them. The ciggarett butts are unsightly and also pose a risk to nature. Now the one thing I know for certain is that it was approx 85% Canadians in these resorts. Thats is a shameful legacy for us Canadians to leave behind! Please people when visiting any of these beautiful beaches, help keep them that way.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
106,853 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Canadian's ashtray?

Susi S:

Excelled post. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
15,115 posts
2. Re: Canadian's ashtray?

Selective indignation. What about when you were swimming with the captive dolphins in their enclosed pens, did you have the same concern for their well-being?

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g670039-d3321…

Orangeville, ON
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Canadian's ashtray?

I agree. When I'm away I consider it my home for the week and treat the place with the same respect. I'm not a smoker but if I was I would use something at the beach. I've also seen people in the pool area just leave empty plastic cups/straws by the pool and they eventually get into the pool. It doesn't take much effort to walk to a garbage can.

PEI
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
4. Re: Canadian's ashtray?

85% Canadian butts.

Do you find 100% Canadian butts on the beach at home?

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Canadian's ashtray?

As smokers we are meticulous about cleaning up after ourselves. Smoke on our balcony (no neighbours) and carry 'plastic glasses' where ever we go. Fill it with a little water and dump the whole thing in the nearest covered garbage can. And truthfully I can say that in our many, many trips across Cuba, we have hardly ever ran into another smoker who was disrespectful of their surroundings. Perhaps we travel in different circles.

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Canadian's ashtray?

And I would like to point out that Cubans are not all saints. Don't know the stats on it, but I would guess the majority are smokers; and Cuba is not known for it's environmental issues.

montreal
Level Contributor
12,320 posts
120 reviews
7. Re: Canadian's ashtray?

SundOg You are so right when talking about Cubans as there is not one trip that we have made that my wife does not tell my Cuban friends to pick up there garbage and its not only ciggarett butts ....

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
106,853 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: Canadian's ashtray?

Cubans are terrible I agree. They throw empty beer cans and bottles out of car windows, they just couldn't care less about the environment.

montreal
Level Contributor
12,320 posts
120 reviews
9. Re: Canadian's ashtray?

Bellagio i could not believe when my friends did this when i was in the highway as i give him so much sh??that he now puts everything in a bag to bring home or maybe when i turn the corner from his house the bag goes flying into the street ...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
10. Re: Canadian's ashtray?

Sitting on the beach in Jibacoa this spring a Cuban Mom and her son sat down directly in front of us for several hours, enjoyed the beach, swam and had a picnic. When they got up an left everything disposible they brought with them, including pop cans, plastic bags and plates and cups were left strewn all over the place. I ended up picking up after them. And the group of Cuban teens just down from them, well they all smoked and I don't recall seeing one of them use an ashtray or put their butts in the garbage.

Edited: 2:55 pm, January 31, 2015