We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I travel with my Cousin to Cuba?

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
Can I travel with my Cousin to Cuba?

I'm a US Citizen. My cousin is also a US citizen, but her mother was born in Cuba and she has an aunt and cousins there.

My question is, can I travel with her LEGALLY from the US, as a "family visit."

I've read up on the regulations below, but I'm not sure if I qualify. Obviously, under the text below my cousin qualifies...but do I qualify to accompany her? It says a companion who shares a dwelling with a visitor as a family is allowed...would I be under that, or would that mean I'd have to live with her to be able to count under the general license?:

Regulations:

"Section 515.561(a) sets forth general licenses authorizing a person (the “f amily visitor”) to visit a close relative who is a national of Cuba or who is a U.S. Government employee assigned to the U.S. Interests Section in Havana, Cuba. A “close relativ e” is defined as any indivi dual related to a person (in this context, the family visitor) by blood, marriage, or adoption who is no more than three generations removed from that person or from a common ancestor with that person. See 31 C.F.R. § 515.339. In addition, the section authorizes any pe rson who shares a common dwelling as a family with a family visitor to accompany the family visito r on such a visit. A family visitor may engage in transactions ordinarily incident to travel and additional transactions di rectly incident to visiting a close relative."

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,935 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I travel with my Cousin to Cuba?

You don't tell us about your personal situation. As noted, the rules refer to "any person who shares a common dwelling as a family" - so the OFAC rules cover you if you and your cousin live in the same dwelling - or if you are willing to declare that you do.

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I travel with my Cousin to Cuba?

Or ignore all that and travel via Mexico.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I travel with my Cousin to Cuba?

Bob may come and answer for you , but to the best of my knowledge the burden of proof to get a legal license for a family or companion visit is nil !!

LENNY

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I travel with my Cousin to Cuba?

If I read the law correctly, and unless you live with your cousin, no you don't qualify to travel there legally.

Now, you have options, but it's up to you to decide if you want to do it or not.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,935 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I travel with my Cousin to Cuba?

Sadly, Bob has been chased away.

6. Re: Can I travel with my Cousin to Cuba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 17, 2015