We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on going to Cuba...

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Advice on going to Cuba...

I am an American who just got back from an 8 day trip in Cuba and have to say I had a wonderful time. Before I went I had so many questions and had to plan out the trip in about 3-4 weeks time only. I got some great advice from Voyhavana on this forum. It is very easy to get lots of contradicting information about Cuba. Voyhavana put me in touch with his friend in Cuba, Jorge, who is basically the local expert...who also speaks perfect English (which comes in handy--trust me). I highly suggest emailing Jorge if you are planning a trip to Cuba---especially if you are American, it made things a lot easier for my sister and I.....jorgeguide2004@yahoo.es

I also must add....as someone who has travelled a lot, Cuba not only has some of the friendliest people I've met, but I was very impressed by how safe the country was. For the Americans who are worried about going, just know that the U.S. has problems with us going to Cuba...but the Cubans DO NOT have issues with Americans.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on going to Cuba...

Hi Rimbly! im happy you and your sister had a great time!! Voyhavana and Jorge are really wonderful guys.

I agree with you re: Cuba and its people - and you are right about your last sentence.

Happy trails!

Pina

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on going to Cuba...

Rimbly, I've been reading your posts and was wondering if you could help me. How did you end up booking your flights from CUN-HAv? Did you go through Mexicana airlines directly or did you use diverme.com? I'm planning a trip in Nov and was wondering how I go about purchasing tix. Thanks! Glad to hear you had a great time! Can't wait to go!!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on going to Cuba...

Hiya rimbly

So glad you had a good trip and enjoyed the "real Cuba".

Mardi

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Seattle, WA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on going to Cuba...

Hi Rimbly,

Did you go via Cancun? If so, did the mexican officials stamp your passport on your 'second arrival' there?

I hold an Indian passport but work in the United States and want to go to Cuba but don't want the risk of getting into trouble with the US immigration agents on my way back. :)

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
United States
United States
North America
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on going to Cuba...

Rotten:

I doubt Rimbly would respond to you though it may happen. Not a frequent reader of the Forum btw. But an extremely nice person. I did meet her through the friend she mentions here and since then we have been in contact though not regularly. And no, she did not visit us through Cancun. I am sure that if you contact the fellow she is suggesting in her initial post, you will find up to date answers for your queries. Some of those answers should not be posted on the general board to comply with the rules of this prestigious Forum.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Seattle, WA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on going to Cuba...

Thanks for all the info Voyhana. It was of much help. I will contact Jorge off the board to find answers to my queries. I hope to be in Cuba soon!

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on going to Cuba...

Voyhavana!!! You are so right that I am usually not on the forum as I have been so busy. But as I was daydreaming about how much I miss Cuba I thought to come back and read a little about others who are going to make me feel better!! I guess now was the right time.

Rottentomato.....as for your trip I definitely would contact jorge as he helped me so much before the trip and while I was in Cuba. It is definitely good to get advice from a Cuban as there is a lot of information going around about travelling to Cuba---some which is true and some which is not. He is good at telling you the honest problems you may face and the logistics.

I did travel through Cancun to Havana and honestly had not a bit of a problem. You mentioned that you had an Indian passport, are you an Indian citizen?? If don't think it is even illegal for you to travel to Cuba, as I know it is a restriction the American government places on their citizens. BUT---please don't take my word as I am not an expert----I just suggest you look into that b/c if that is the case you do not have to worry about any problems with getting your passport stamped.

Keep me posted as I will try to visit the forum when I have time

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on going to Cuba...

Hi Rimbly:

Good to see you around.

Just in case, I should clarify that unfortunately all OFAC regulations related to the travel ban are imposed on every “person subject to US jurisdiction” …

RT:

You may expand your knowledge (if you need to do so) looking into:

treasury.gov/offices/…index.shtml

Seattle, WA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on going to Cuba...

Thanks to both of you folks for replying back to this. Even though I am Indian, Voyhavana is correct that I am still subject to US jurisdiction because I live here. Moreover, I can be denied entry back into the US (and not just a fine like most americans) so I need to be careful about the stamp issue.

USA
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on going to Cuba...

I would like to back to the"island" but with these restrictions I don't know how it can be done.Any info.advice will be greatly appreciated as I don't want to have any problems coming back.

Thank you!!!