We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days In Cuba

Manchester UK
7 posts
Save Topic
10 Days In Cuba

Hi

We are planning a 10 day trip to Cuba in December and we really want to see and experience as much as possible with some relaxation at the end.

What we are currently looking at is -

Havana - 4 Nights

Cienfuegos - 1 Night

Trinidad - 2 Nights

Cayo Coco - 4 nights

We plan to use the Viazul buses for most of the transport.

Is this is a good itinerary? Or are we really missing out on other areas?

Any help/ thoughts/ tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :-)

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days In Cuba

Are you flying out of Cayo Coco at the end ? If not where are you flying from ?

I am not sure if the one night in Cienfuegos is worthwhile - by the time you have sorted out where you are staying, and unpacked - and then next day packing and catching the bus.

Artemisa
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days In Cuba

If you use Via Azul Bus will be not easy can see something in Cienfuegos only one night, I recommended you two nights in Cienfuegos, even Cienfuegos is a very small city, and only one day is enough but when you are independent of the transport.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days In Cuba

As Beardo says, what is your flight schedule?

Cheers,

Terry

Manchester UK
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days In Cuba

Hi

Thank you all for your help it is much appreciated.

We plan to fly back from Cayo Coco to Havana on 23 December to connect to our flight to London.

Would you suggest going straight from Havana to Trinidad and then to Cayo Coco. Are we wise to do this by bus?

If you have any other recommendations we are more than happy to hear them.

Thanks again

Louella & Jonny

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Days In Cuba

There is no bus to Cayo Coco.

Do not risk flying to Havana and then out again the same day - internal flights are often delayed or cancelled.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Days In Cuba

Ditto Beardo. There is no public transport to Cayo Coco and ALWAYS stay the night before in the same city as where your flight is departing from.

Keep in mind that Trinidad has a pretty decent beach too. Their Playa Ancon is nothing like Cayo Coco, but it is a beach...

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Manchester UK
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Days In Cuba

Hi

Thank you for the advice :)

I have reworked the route slightly based on your recommendations and was thinking of the following -

Havana 3 nights

Trinidad 2 nights

Santa Clara ( 2 nights because of the buses)

Varadero 3 nights

Havana 1 night

Fly home

Varadero was never my first choice but it is the only beach place I can get to work into the itinerary. This would all be with viazul buses.

Trying to see a few different places and then finish off with a couple of days relaxing on the beach.

Do you think this is the best route to do?

Thank you

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Days In Cuba

There are beaches just close to Trinidad which many people say are good - and as that is on the south coast, the weather could be better for beaches.

I thought that there were direct buses from Trinidad to Varadero. I would cut out Santa Clara and spend longer in Havana or Trinidad.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Days In Cuba

"... Varadero was never my first choice but it is the only beach place I can get to work into the itinerary..."

Read Reply #6. Trinidad has Playa Ancon.

Unless you're a Che freak I'd cut out Santa Clara too.

Cheers,

Terry

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Days In Cuba

Louella & Jonny, if I may be so bold as to re-arrange your itinerary, I would do it like this:

((((( Havana 3 nights, Cienfuegos 2 nights, Trinidad 3 nights, Havana 2 nights))))

Like already said, Playa Ancon at Trinidad is a good beach option and there are 3 AI hotels on the beach if that is your cup o' tea. Going to Cayo Coco seems really out of the way for your time limit. At least this way you'll have Trinidad and Cienfuegos covered to be able to travel elsewhere next visit.

BTW, you mentioned in the original post as planning for 10 days yet, there and post #7 you have yourself staying for 11 nights. How many nights will you be there or is that open to change?