We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba - DETAILS!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba – DETAILS!

This topic of best Shore Snorkeling locations in Cuba has been discussed in other posts, but I am looking for something more detailed.

I am among those who like to snorkel without the expense or limitations of snorkeling boat tours – preferably in locations very close to accommodation. I am looking for much more than “The snorkeling is great here”. We want details – precise location of best snorkeling area, kinds and quantities of marine life, description of character of reef (or non-reef) area, clarity of water, special problems (distance from shore, wind, jellyfish, etc…), comparisons to other snorkeling sites.

I am going to kick this off below with a detailed report of my own snorkeling adventure on Playa Guardalavaca.

167 replies to this topic
Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba – DETAILS!

Hi !

Thanks for this great info ! I also love to snorkle and have been to a few of the sports listed here, my favorite being Cayo Santa Maria, just in front of the Melia Buenavista. I saw my very first baby shark there ! But this resort is soo expensive, especially when you have to pay extra for the single occupancy.

Would you be looking for a snorkling buddy, do not hesitate to drop me a line !

Shediac nb
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
72. Re: Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba – DETAILS!

hi guys

We are going to csm on march 1/2013,im looking at doing a lot of snorkeling for sure,just want to thank everybody for there help here.

How many good days can we expect (typically) to be able to snorkel on this beach??? shallow water with big waves don't scare me but makes it difficult and almost impossible to get out :(

any feedback welcomed thanks

Marc

Shediac nb

Canada

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
902 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba – DETAILS!

From my experiences at Cayo Santa Maria (been there three times) is that there is more rough seas than calm. Of the 31 days ( accumulated over the three trips) I would say only about 5-6 days were green flag days, maybe 8-10 red flag days and the rest yellow flag. The times of year I was there were Christmas/New Years, mid April and mid November.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba – DETAILS!

The problem when it's rough is that it is stirred up and you won't see anything anyhow. :-) Weather is not predictable. I have had good luck in September, but then you can also get a hurricane at that time.

Shediac nb
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
75. Re: Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba – DETAILS!

thanks guys for the info

If I can get a couple of good days I would be very happy, where would someone get a good reliable weather report once you're in the Cayo Santa Maria? that would be a big plus so I could plan my activities, I can almost hear somebody thinking you're on vacation go and enjoy yourself lol! but snorkeling is going to be 1 of my highlights of the trip for sure!

thanks again

Marc

In cold stormy nb Canada

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba – DETAILS!

"where would someone get a good reliable weather report once you're in the Cayo Santa Maria?"

You're joking, no? :-) Best advice I can give you is that if you get up in the morning and things are calm, get moving! When conditions are right for snorkelling, I don't put it off. In the afternoon the wind can come up, and your opportunity is gone. Snorkelling is a priority for me, so when conditions are right everything else I might want to do goes to the back burner, and I grab my gear and go!

Shediac nb
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
77. Re: Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba – DETAILS!

Hi eeeefarm

Its a bit like what i do here in the summer with the sailboat lol, good one i guess???weather men are just not that accurate with wind conditions even here with all our technology's!! I wish i had your travel agenda Wow you've been very fortunate for sure, been following your threads your a very lucky man! As you know i will be at the azul so ill have 1 hour walk to think about my snorkeling to the hot spot,unless i take a cab or bus i sure would like to walk on the beach and see how the rest of the people live>>> i guess according to my better half ill have to close my eyes going thru the au naturel area :( ya right!!

thanks again

Marc

in stormy Shediac nb

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba – DETAILS!

"been following your threads your a very lucky man"

LOL, that would be "woman", but yes, I've been fortunate to have lots of trips to Cuba. Actually "discovered" snorkelling there in '04, and have enjoyed it and become more accomplished at it every year since then.

So you sail? I have a Laser, and before that an Albacore, so that is another hobby I enjoy in Cuba, only on Hobie Cats there.

Shediac nb
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
79. Re: Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba – DETAILS!

Hi eeeefarm

Ive been snorkeling since i was a kid way before 2004! lol (1965)

so im not easily deterred (no sure if that's good or bad) just lost my gear recently so ive purchased some gear a wally world US diver stuff that i have tried at the pool here a few weeks ago,for the price is is very good stufff just had to put some Vaseline on my mustache to stop leaks,other than that the snorkel is pretty good the fins are very comfortable.Sharon my partener has never snorkeled so i bought her a Oceanic hyperdry snorkel, so she has a good learning curb without getting into trouble (hopefully),the great side to learning at CSM is the water are very shallow so ill get her to practice near the shores even if its a little windy between sandbars we shouldnt get many waves coming in on low tide!( at least that how it works here at our beaches)

thanks again

Marc

in stormy Shediac nb

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba – DETAILS!

I suggest phoning Luis Talavera Montebravo in Varadero. He's a local diver who offers private tours and will know excatly what you want / need. They don't call him crazy Lewy for nothing! C: (+53)53699121. I just got back and he took us to the Coral Beach. I know there are better places for more experienced snorklers and divers...but this is where we wanted to go.

Reply to: Shore Snorkelling (Walk In From The Beach) Cuba – DETAILS!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cuba