We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canadian traveller checks accepted in Cuba?

ONTARIO
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
canadian traveller checks accepted in Cuba?

first timer to Cuba. Can I exchange cad travelers checks in Cuba ? thanks for responding.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,916 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canadian traveller checks accepted in Cuba?

Have a look at Martian 24's excellent thread on currency, credit cards and travelers cheques.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c109329/Cub…

saskatoon
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canadian traveller checks accepted in Cuba?

Back when I took traveller's cheques to Cuba I would always take Thomas Cook travellers cheques. Most Canadian banks were only issuing American Express which are not accepted in Cuba. For years I have only taken Canadian cash. Good 20, 50 and 100 dollar bills. I keep them in my hotel safe. I exchange them into CUC when necessary. If you do take traveller's cheques make sure they are in CAD. The exchange rate would probably be similar to a cash advance on a Canadian based Visa or MC ei; Royal Bank visa or CIBC MC so you might think of that route.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canadian traveller checks accepted in Cuba?

Cuba59 see Martiian's link.

You do not need TC's to be in CAD they CAN be in USD. AMEX ARE accepted in Cuba. The exchange rate for CAD or USD TC's is the same as for cash but there is an additional 3-4 charge for TC's.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canadian traveller checks accepted in Cuba?

oops sorry 3-4%

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,614 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: canadian traveller checks accepted in Cuba?

And I'm under the impression that if they get lost or stolen they will not be replaced till you get home.

Cheers

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: canadian traveller checks accepted in Cuba?

Bergerman, that is my understanding as well. I bring cash and keep it in the safe changing a few hundred initially and $100 at a time afterwards. May bring a Big 5 bank credit card with for 2 weeks as well, just in case something unexpected arises.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: canadian traveller checks accepted in Cuba?

"And I'm under the impression that if they get lost or stolen they will not be replaced till you get home."

Yes same for cash!

8. Re: canadian traveller checks accepted in Cuba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, March 06, 2013