We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental o/w and insurance

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
car rental o/w and insurance

I am going to rent a car from Cubacar, pick up is in Holguin, return in Havana. On the voucher a fee for o/w rental from 20-300 CUC is stated, depending on the distance. Does anyone know the amount for Holguin-Havana?

And also: If my credit card covers car rental insurance (accepted in Europe, the US, Grenada, Kenya and Tanzania so far), would the Cuabn insurance also be covered?

Maybe someone knows about these things.... Gracias!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,112 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental o/w and insurance

You will still need to take out the Cuban Insurance which will likely be 15 CUC per day payable when you collect your rental car.

The drop off fee you can calculate at this link, I make it 75 or 80 CUC's:

novelacuba.com/commonpages/…

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental o/w and insurance

Bellagio is correct. They don't care what insurance you have, the 10-15 CUC daily insurance is mandatory.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental o/w and insurance

Whether your Credit Card Company will cover car insurance for Cuba is a question you have to ask them directly. That said, I'm betting your changes of having coverage in Cuba is zero, and even if they did the rental agency in Cuba won't care, they'll want their CUC.

I would imagine the one way fee will be the maximum amount, or fairly close to it... Havana and Holguin are (almost) as far apart as you can get for two major centres in Cuba.

Some further thoughts here that you might find interesting:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k38172…

Drive safe!

Cheers,

Terry

Bellagio: How old is that chart? Those prices seem really cheap...

Edited: 2:07 pm, December 14, 2011
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,112 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental o/w and insurance

No idea, Terry. I just went on to the novelacuba web site and found the link. I thought that it was quite cheap myself, so maybe it is well out of date as you suggest.

5. Re: car rental o/w and insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 15, 2012