We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive in Cuba

Ontario, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
All Inclusive in Cuba

My husband and I are planning a trip to Cuba soon. Since we have rarely travelled and never been to Cuba, I have many questions. I am seriously considering the Paradicus de Rio Oro resort. Any thoughts? Also wondering about the weather and what is the best time of year to go to Cuba. Obviously we want to stay away from the hurricane season - when exactly is that? I would truly appreciate any thoughts or advice from anyone who has been there. I have read many reviews on Trip Advisor and there are many conflicting opinions. Please help. Thanks.

united kingdom
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive in Cuba

Hi there,

I am replying to your message on Trip Advisor, My husband and I will be visiting the Paradiso Rio De Oro in three weeks time, we are returning to Cuba for the second year running. When we return I will let you know what we thought of the Hotel but we have heard good reports regarding this hotel and resort, so will let you know when we return.

But as for Cuba we visited Varadero last September and stayed in a smallish hotel 3* as a last minute booking, it was an unforgettable holiday and we very much loved Cuba, we obviously went in Hurricane Season as I think the season is from July to end September beginning of October, but I will say that it did not ruin our holiday we had rain every day around 3-4pm in the afternoon (magnificent storms), but during the day the weather was hot and sunny. The people are very friendly the country is safe, and the countryside is beautiful, although Cuba is a poor country the people are wonderful, helpful and friendly. We did all the tourist destinations – Havana (not to be missed), swam with the dolphins, did the Jungle Tour and Catamaran Cruise, unfortunately we were only there for a week and a week was not long enough. I would recommend to Cuba to anyone.

I am returning this year to a different part of the island so will get back to you on my return and let you know what the hotel is like.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive in Cuba

Hi Susan,

My husband and I are going to Rio de Oro as well in September. When are you going to be there? We get there the !9th for two weeks. We have been there twice before and absolutely love it!

Cant wait to see it now as a Paradisius!

ttyl, Karen

Ontario, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive in Cuba

Hi Susan: Thanks for your response. I look forward to hearing about your trip when you return. It will be great to get some first hand information from someone who has been there recently. Have a wonderful vacation and I will talk to you when you return. Thanks, Taylor Troop

jmr
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive in Cuba

If you are thinking about Paradisis Rio de Oro - go! I went in late July and had a fantastic time. It was my second trip (last year my honeymoon was in Barbados - Almond Beach Club and Spa), and had a great time. The food was so-so (as I hear it is throughout Cuba), but I also had a hard time not comparing it to the fabulous food I had in Barbados. The resort is immaculate though - great pool, private beaches are incredible, and the grounds are lush amd beautiful. For the money you spend to go to this place you CANNOT go wrong.

Feel free to contact me at jmrandall@sentex.net if you have any questions

JR

united kingdom
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive in Cuba

To Karen,

We are flying to the Paradisus rio de oro on the 18th September for two weeks. So do you go on the 9th September or the 19th? I am flying out with friends from the UK there are six of us holidaying in Cuba and really looking forward to my second visit.

Sue

Toronto, ON, Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive in Cuba

Does anyone have any idea what the weather is like in late Jan/early Feb? The travel agent told me it was hit and miss...maybe low to mid 20's at that time of year...any ideas? Thanks.

Swindon UK
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive in Cuba

We are going to Paradisus Rio de Oro middle of January next year.

Can anyone advise as to possible weather conditions and to the possible insects expected at that time of year.

Kent, England
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive in Cuba

We got back from Cuba 30/10/04 and had a fantastic time at the 5* Melia Cayo Coco (Adults only). This is situated on the Cayo islands which has it's own airport. We had a fantastic time but don't expect European 5* standards.

I thought the hotel was great (better than I expected, some reviews were not that good but I guess some people expect the Hilton!) and the Lagoon rooms are just that little bit extra special, the staff fab and the beaches lovely. We went to Sandals Inn, Jamaica last year, and had just as good a time here (perhaps even better actually). The food in Cuba is perhaps a little bland at times, but these people still have ration books! I think as long as you are reasonably chilled out, you'll love Cuba!

Netherlands
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: All Inclusive in Cuba

Rio Oro is really great and the all inclusive system is fantastic

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All Inclusive in Cuba

Hi Newfee and Mikem, I've been to the North shore/holguin area first week of January (twice) and first week of February (this year). It is variable, think of it as just a tad warmer than Florida would be, and definitely warmer and less windy as you move away from Christmas. I usually have to travel after Christmas, and there is definitely no snow to shovel in Cuba, so I'm a happy camper. Many days are like June days in Canada, up to 25C mid-day, down to 15 or 20 late evening. Have gotten a burn on Jan. 2, there was a breeze off the water and I couldn't feel how hot the sun is. If you like to bicycle, go horseback riding, or play tennis, Dec-Jan is perfect for that. Pools are cold in Jan and Feb, but equivalent to my lake at my cottage in Northern Ontario, probably 22-25C. During two weeks of visits first week of January, only had one dayof rain, and a few sunshowers that last 10 minutes. The sun is still very hot, even at Christmas. I've come home with a tan every trip.

Found it much warmer the first week of Feb this year, up to high 20's most days, had one day of rain, but needed the break from the sun. You could sunbathe from early until about 10:30 AM, then I had to seek shade, and the beach water was lovely and warm (warmer than the pool). We spent a morning walking around Guardalavaca and all got terribly burnt despite sunscreen (didn't reapply).

Hurricane season officially runs June 1-Nov. 30, but peaks mid-August to mid-Oct. Large resorts like PRDO that stay open all year have facilities to cope with storms if they happen, so don't worry, the resorts that are too close to the beach or don't have indoor facilities are closed over the summer for these reasons.There is lots more weather info on www. wunderground.com. Go to Triplanner to see the weather almanac for past years at Holguin. Also shows past incidence and paths of hurricanes, if that interests you. Everyone loves PRDO.