We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any way to "sterilize" snorkeling mouthpiece?

toronto
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
25 reviews
Any way to "sterilize" snorkeling mouthpiece?

We're just going for a week and don't want to go to the hassle of buying any snorkle equipement. We would like to use the resort's equipment but is there a way we can further clean the mouthgard? I expect they do something with them at the resort but I'd like to also sterilize it myself. Any suggestions?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
376 posts
1 review
1. Re: Any way to "sterilize" snorkeling mouthpiece?

Why not just purchase the portion snorkle and use the resorts goggles and fins. I always bring my own gear as I am a small person and fit is important but if my memory serves me right, when I went on a snorkle excusrion, all the guests were given new snorkles, they were lime green or orange, cheap but they were new.

Cheers

CC

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Any way to "sterilize" snorkeling mouthpiece?

Like the above poster, I take my own snorkel and mask (cheap at Canadian tire or Walmart) and I just use the resorts flippers.

If you want to sterilize the mouthpiece you could always soak it in a cup full of rum. As it has a high percentage of alcohol in it it would effectively sterilize pretty much anything.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Any way to "sterilize" snorkeling mouthpiece?

Me Personally. I bring my own equipment from a dive shop, but that is because I do a lot of snorkeling, but if your only going to go once or twice in your holiday I would suggest the following...

Dollar stores also have some sets, again you don't need to bring the flippers (the largest, heaviest items of the set) but mask and snorkel which you should check to ensure fit you properly.

The biggest thing you need to ensure is that the mask fits tightly against your face and that the snorkel doesn't leak (best to test this before you go) as some inexpensive sets do not have the best construction and will leak.

Also, after every time you swim make sure to clean off your gear with water to remove the salt. Pool water doesn't count as the chlorine and other chemicals attack the neoprene in the gear (now if you gear is just simple plastic, then you should be okay), it is best to wash it with water from your bathroom at the hotel room to ensure that you don't leave it dirty or with chemicals that will eat away the surface.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
4. Re: Any way to "sterilize" snorkeling mouthpiece?

If this causes distress about catching germs from a mouthpiece on diving equipment why not pour some Rum over it first.

Yeeeesss - another use for Rum!!!!

Snow Island
Level Contributor
679 posts
5. Re: Any way to "sterilize" snorkeling mouthpiece?

As some of the other posters mentioned, we too, bring our own gear...

However, since you just want to "sterilize" it yourself... then why don't you bring along a small bottle of "Purell" which is alcohol based, and is easy & convenient to bring along in your suitcase for travelling, and your beach bag when you're at the resort?

I totally feel your pain... I'm a "germaphobe" at heart! Hope this helps.

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Any way to "sterilize" snorkeling mouthpiece?

It's just me but I would sanitize the snorkeling gear with Purell. It is horrid tasting. Also, I doubt it good for you, wherein rum is good for you.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
7. Re: Any way to "sterilize" snorkeling mouthpiece?

I would definitely take my own if I were you. Was at a reort one time where 3 people got really sick and ruined half of their vacation. The only thing that they had in common was that they all had used the snorkel gear the same day.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
8. Re: Any way to "sterilize" snorkeling mouthpiece?

Waste of good rum if you ask me...but I guess if you have nothing else. I agree with the previous posters, snorkels can be pretty inexpensive, I'd just buy a cheap one.

BTW - resorts don't usually do anything to ensure they're clean, so it's user beware.

9. Re: Any way to "sterilize" snorkeling mouthpiece?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:26 pm, November 02, 2008
Snow Island
Level Contributor
679 posts
10. Re: Any way to "sterilize" snorkeling mouthpiece?

On second thought, if I were you I would definitely consider buying your own... that's what we did.